• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Spy - Legit or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

I got a reply from those nice people at Nominet

Hi Cojak

Thanks for getting in touch about this domain name:

contractspy .co.uk.

We've written to the site's registrant (and their registrar) to tell them they can either make changes to meet our opt-out criteria or we'll have to remove their opt-out and make the registrant's address public. They now have seven days to respond before we automatically do this.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Update:

They can be very useful at times
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Website related question. If you have a Mikey mouse website (1 page) just so that your business is more HMRC friendly and you offer services not selling or trading as such do you still need to put all those details?

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
          Website related question. If you have a Mikey mouse website (1 page) just so that your business is more HMRC friendly and you offer services not selling or trading as such do you still need to put all those details?
          If it's your business website then you do.

Put it all in small print at the bottom of the page.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DrWho View Post
            I have received a very persuasive email from an outfit called Contract Spy.

They are offering a service to provide leads for direct contracts, ie cut out the agency.

All very well and good.

At their website, <modsnip - if you want to find it, search for it> I find that they want £7.99 per month, which is fair enough if the service works.

I am concerned this may be a scam:

It appears to be a UK trading website, but there is no trading address or contact details or any way of contacting them. I believe there is a requirement for trading websites to provide contact details.

The domain is owned by an individual who has elected to withhold his trading address. Not good.

The payment method is solely by direct debit. No paypal (strange) or credit card, There is a form to enter bank details (Alarm bells ringing??)

There are details regarding the firm which acts to operate the direct debit. This appears to me to be a genuine firm, although I have never heard of them. By this stage I am not comfortable that my bank details can be disclosed safely

For myself I think the basic idea is great but will regard it as a scam until proved otherwise.
            Just for those two reasons I'll give it a miss

Comment

Don't be under any illusions HMRC will fall for this. They aren't stupid. If you have a noddy website that serves absolutely no purpose but to pretend to be something your not it's more likely to work against you that for you. Personally I think this is a pretty poor idea. Have a website or not, don't have one just to try prove you are business, the fact you are having to try proved more so that you aren't.

And do you need to put it on?? You think a website missing basic legal information will really prove anything to HMRC?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Update:

The domain register has an address now (not sure if that's what was missing before). The address of the person registering the domain isn't the same as the company address, but that's not unusual.

No contact details, no company details = no way I'd go near them.

Comment

If it's your business website then you do.

Put it all in small print at the bottom of the page.
                  Thank you.

The site is not quite Mikey mouse but I don't use it to target work, it's mainly to show that I have a presence (for HMRC, clients and for agents), plus it states the services offered. I didn't have the time to work on it so currently it has basic information. I wanted to make sure the basic info has the minimum required information.

I don't want to lose it because I didn't know the legal requirements. Used to do website pre 2006 and I don't remember every client asking me to put that info on their sites. Most did have their e-mail, contact info and business address.

Comment

Thank you.

The site is not quite Mikey mouse but I don't use it to target work, it's mainly to show that I have a presence (for HMRC, clients and for agents), plus it states the services offered. I didn't have the time to work on it so currently it has basic information. I wanted to make sure the basic info has the minimum required information.

I don't want to lose it because I didn't know the legal requirements. Used to do website pre 2006 and I don't remember every client asking me to put that info on their sites. Most did have their e-mail, contact info and business address.

Shouldn't be too hard to google the legislation and there will be plenty of other sites that will explain it I am sure.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FWIW:
                      registered to a Brian Stalley

A google search for him brings up these cached results:
                      BiJobs, Business Intelligence and Analytics Jobs - BI Jobs plus
                      http://www.bijobsplus.co.uk/about-bu...elligence-jobs
                      BI Jobs was founded in 2015 by Brian Stalley, a recruiter with over 10 years experience in the sector. With the intention of developing the most authoritative and ...
                      That page doesn't exist any more, and his name is not actually mentioned on that site

Also, this.
                      About Us - Daylight Resources
                      daylightresources.co.uk/index.php?main_page=about_us
                      The Managing Director of the company, Brian Stalley, has spent over 20 years working within the I.T. industry, prior to moving into recruitment in the 1990's.

Comment

Working...
                      X