• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Risk Annoying Agent and Client By Delaying Start Due to Contract Review?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    Some people are stupid. As long as you're capable of communicating effectively.
    And this is the problem in many cases...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I agree but the key point he brought up was payment frequency which was not specified. The other one on the job title is pretty irrelevant.

NLUK does raise a good point on IR35, which I personally wouldn't worry too much about as long as there was a sub clause and an obvious general intention to make it IR35 compliant.

It's also a mess if he misses the handover.
      Not my circus not my monkeys would be my response.

I'll try and help out but if the contractual agreements are not in place, then not a lot can be done.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I'll try and help out but if the contractual agreements are not in place, then not a lot can be done.
        As above you can still hammer out the details when you're on site. That's not the way you do it, but believe me you can.

Contractors that do, that have more money in their bank accounts than the ones that don't.

I'm not saying your strategy isn't valid, it's just you can earn more by being more flexible.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          As above you can still hammer out the details when you're on site. That's not the way you do it, but believe me you can.

Contractors that do, that have more money in their bank accounts than the ones that don't.

I'm not saying your strategy isn't valid, it's just you can earn more by being more flexible.
          Sorry not for me. I dont want to spend my first week arguing the toss about terms and conditions with the agent whos digging his heels in and then dealing with a client who doesnt care now you're on site.

Clients need to understand that things take a little time to sort out. It can be quick IF the agent gets his act together and does not play silly games.

Comment

Finally received my contract review late yesterday afternoon and emailed my elusive agency contact with amendments who is back in today. It's mostly ok but the payment term frequency and services to be provided need clarifying There is NO mention of payment frequency apart from what day after the invoice is received will payment arrive but no timescales as to whether it is weekly or monthly. Additionally only a job title is indicated.

The guy at the agency had just phoned and asked me to specify exactly what I need in the contract in writing. He said that they have over 100 contractors and nobody has ever asked for this type of information. Apparently many of their contractors go on site before their contracts have even arrived....He says that they will look at the contract but can they have my reassurance that I can start tomorrow. I said yes of course.

I don't think I'm making unreasonable requests? I would rather iron this out now before forwarding further documentation and turning up this morning asking for changes when it would seem inappropriate during the midst of a handover. However by the same token some of you are probably right and I may have risked the contract and reputation.
            Last edited by ziggystardust; 12 April 2016, 09:02.

Comment

Exactly, client and agent don't seem too ar$ed about it but expect you to turn up before a contract is signed and sealed as it will make their life easier?, they can shove it, if its that important then the agent wouldn't have done a Lord Lucan, they are playing silly beggars (also what are the odds that there is no mad rush to get the OP on site from the clients perspective but more Jackanory time from the pimp...)

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
                Finally received my contract review late yesterday afternoon and emailed agency contact with amendments who is back in today. It's mostly ok but the payment term frequency and services to be provided need clarifying There is NO mention of payment frequency apart from what day after the invoice is received will payment arrive but no timescales as to whether it is weekly or monthly. Additionally only a job title is indicated.

I phoned another agency colleague who left a voice message yesterday evening asking me to phone back this morning before 9am regarding start date before he goes into a meeting. Unfortunately I phoned just one minute to 9 and he didn't answer but I left a message to update on my email response.

I don't think I'm making unreasonable requests in writing and would rather iron this out now before forwarding further documentation and turning up this morning asking for changes when it would seem inappropriate during the midst of a handover. However by the same token some of you are probably right and I may have risked the contract and reputation. Silence from the other party is never a good response is it??!
                Well played if you ask me. No payment terms specified is not great.

Would anyone (those of you who are saying just turn up) be impressed if you turned up then 3 days in the agency mentioned it was 90 days terms? Do you really want the hassle getting that sorted?

Comment

Would anyone (those of you who are saying just turn up) be impressed if you turned up then 3 days in the agency mentioned it was 90 days terms? Do you really want the hassle getting that sorted?
                  Exactly that's what a review is for, good luck getting that changed if you had already rocked up on site with the implied contract in force.

Comment

Not just that. Only getting a job title and no schedule of work is a massive flag for me. I have to wonder how on earth the OP got this far without getting a schedule of work though. That should have come with the contract and Op should have been on the phone every hour until he got one. No point putting the contract in for review without it.

Sounds like its turning in to a real crock of crap contract this one. Too much going wrong from the off. Hope the OP didn't stop looking.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Not just that. Only getting a job title and no schedule of work is a massive flag for me. I have to wonder how on earth the OP got this far without getting a schedule of work though. That should have come with the contract and Op should have been on the phone every hour until he got one. No point putting the contract in for review without it.

Sounds like its turning in to a real crock of crap contract this one. Too much going wrong from the off. Hope the OP didn't stop looking.
                      Yes of course.

But you know what agents are like - once the client tells them they want contractor its in the bag as far as they are concerned and they're counting their commission. I've often found that they are not interested in the slightest in getting the contract done correctly and/or wasting time negotiating it - which is why they like people just turning up.

In this case, it could be this. i.e. agent has knocked together any old crap just to get guy on site. Or as you say, its a turd contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X