• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does this feedback mean?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this feedback mean?

Went for an interview for a BA role this Wednesday, on Thursday agent provided this feedback
    "Quite competent,thorough bit intense and technical as well; however he would like to speak with his boss to find out if his technical skill can be utilised somewhere otherwise I might get bored in this role.so He will come back on Monday after he has discussed with his boss with possibility of 2nd round of interview with his boss".

However I called agent yesterday to find out if there is any further update and he said I ll have to wait till Monday.But I see the role has been readvertised again on Friday evening by the same agent.

Am I still running or should I move on?

Don't you always keep moving on until you've actually got a signed contract? You don't owe anybody anything until you actually reach an agreement. Until then, you are a business offering your services to other businesses, and none of the other businesses have agreed to purchase them.

Don't close that door, but don't stand there looking longingly at it, either. Always. Whatever the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Don't you always keep moving on until you've actually got a signed contract? You don't owe anybody anything until you actually reach an agreement. Until then, you are a business offering your services to other businesses, and none of the other businesses have agreed to purchase them.

Don't close that door, but don't stand there looking longingly at it, either. Always. Whatever the feedback.
      Just curious to find out what went wrong so I ll be better prepared for my future interview as I thought everything went so well and he appeared quite interested as he took more time explaining what project is and what would I be working on.

Comment

The interviewer didn't like you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yeah, I was just responding to the "should I move on", to which the answer is "always."

So, I'll try to read between the lines, since that's what you want. You're "a bit intense." Work on being more like-able, easy-going. Maybe you were nervous, and it came out as "intensity"? I'd bet you weren't thinking about the interviewer, what would make him more at ease, what would make the interview more pleasant/enjoyable for him, what would help him.

He thought you'd be bored in the role, so he was going to see if maybe there is a different role for someone with your skills. So you gave the impression of someone who is very intense and technical, and won't be interested in a role that isn't like that. Is that you, or not? Was he right? If not, then you may have lost this contract simply on personality (or apparent personality) issues, because he thought you were too intense to take on a role that isn't perfectly suited to you.

Totally speculating, of course. I don't know you, the interviewer, etc. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to work on smiling more, seeing the interviewer as a person doing a tough job (how are THEY supposed to figure out whether you will be a good fit based on this one meeting?), learn to engage them in easy/relaxed conversation, learn how to present yourself as competent but also friendly. Be ready to spend a minute or two (but probably not more) on chit chat about Leicester football or the weather or the upcoming Olympics or whatever that will let them know you are human, but to quickly transition to work so they know you are professional. That sends the message that you are good, but also that you'll fit in and that you aren't completely a nerd who only cares about being technical.

Have you been through any seminars on being interviewed?

Comment

You are too technical for the role.

I once had a technical test. I got 70% which was right in their target range. 60-80%.

They do like you - but the role is not quite right.

Keep looking.....

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Yeah, I was just responding to the "should I move on", to which the answer is "always."

So, I'll try to read between the lines, since that's what you want. You're "a bit intense." Work on being more like-able, easy-going. Maybe you were nervous, and it came out as "intensity"? I'd bet you weren't thinking about the interviewer, what would make him more at ease, what would make the interview more pleasant/enjoyable for him, what would help him.

He thought you'd be bored in the role, so he was going to see if maybe there is a different role for someone with your skills. So you gave the impression of someone who is very intense and technical, and won't be interested in a role that isn't like that. Is that you, or not? Was he right? If not, then you may have lost this contract simply on personality (or apparent personality) issues, because he thought you were too intense to take on a role that isn't perfectly suited to you.

Totally speculating, of course. I don't know you, the interviewer, etc. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to work on smiling more, seeing the interviewer as a person doing a tough job (how are THEY supposed to figure out whether you will be a good fit based on this one meeting?), learn to engage them in easy/relaxed conversation, learn how to present yourself as competent but also friendly. Be ready to spend a minute or two (but probably not more) on chit chat about Leicester football or the weather or the upcoming Olympics or whatever that will let them know you are human, but to quickly transition to work so they know you are professional. That sends the message that you are good, but also that you'll fit in and that you aren't completely a nerd who only cares about being technical.

Have you been through any seminars on being interviewed?
              Thanks for taking time in analysing the situation and making it clear.
              Although I did have some informal chi-chat when he said he has worked in the company where I am working now.So I just asked his opinion about current company and the company where we both worked.He then said about some advantages such as cheap gym.He did reject 2 previous candaidates saying their knowledge is superficial so I prepared quite well and answered all his questions.but looks like something didnt work.
              Last edited by Kprad35; 14 May 2016, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
                However I called agent yesterday to find out if there is any further update and he said I ll have to wait till Monday.But I see the role has been readvertised again on Friday evening by the same agent.

Am I still running or should I move on?
                I've just been having dealings with an agent who, twenty minutes after saying on the phone that he'd put me forward for a gig, sent a faux-personalised email out to his list, including me, advertising the same gig (for which only one person is required). He did the same thing a couple of days later, after he'd confirmed that I had an interview. And between those, he re-posted the gig on JobServe

I start on Monday. So I wouldn't read too much into the re-advertising; he's just keeping his options open or, possibly, incompetent at managing a mailing list

Comment

Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
                  He will come back on Monday after he has discussed with his boss with possibility of 2nd round of interview with his boss".
                  Does anyone actually do this?
                  I always refuse 2nd interviews as the criteria for contractors should only be :

1: Can they do the job
                  2: Will they fit into the team

If whoever is interviewing cannot establish those and make a decision during the course of the interview then pretty sure its all been a waste of time
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Does anyone actually do this?
                    I always refuse 2nd interviews as the criteria for contractors should only be :

1: Can they do the job
                    2: Will they fit into the team

If whoever is interviewing cannot establish those and make a decision during the course of the interview then pretty sure its all been a waste of time
                    I do. This could cause you to burn bridges especially if a juicy role and you refuse a 2nd interview, no ? I am always happy to have a 2nd if it is a role I want and enables me to secure it.

Comment

Working...
                    X