• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving notice dilema

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving notice dilema

Right here's the SP. My current contract role finishes at the end of June with an extension possible but highly unlikely, as I've mentioned before I always finish a contract and haven't bailed early yet, notice period here is 1 week. Good client to work for, no complaints there. Project was delivered a few weeks ago and I'm now doing bug fixes, CRs and documentation updates until I go. Got a call from the dev manager at the place I was at a year ago, desperate for 2 devs for a 6 month contract and would rather go with me another guy I've worked with before, direct so rate is very good. Great client WFH one day a week and tech/dev environment is much better than here. He can't wait any more than 2 weeks max (6 out of the question), do I bail and take another 6 months guaranteed work or stay and risk being on the bench over the quiet summer period?

Depends.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you direct with current ClientCo?
      Could you talk it over with them, see if they would even release you for 2-3 days a week?
      Past experience for me has been to talk to the current client honestly and see what they say.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Depends.
        Thanks for that...

Danger is I'll spend all summer on JSA

Comment

I'd see what the current client thinks as far as their need for you for remainder of the contract.

If they definitely won't be extending you and are just giving you tasks to tide you over to end of contract, helping them mop up the project debris, they may agree to cut the contract short, or allow you to go part time.

New contract may allow an initial part time cross over if they want you but you're not fully available sooner, but more likely you'll be able to agree on early termination of the current contract.

Don't terminate until you've got the new one in writing!
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Are you direct with current ClientCo?
            Could you talk it over with them, see if they would even release you for 2-3 days a week?
            Past experience for me has been to talk to the current client honestly and see what they say.
            Yep I'm direct, they've not extended the 2 contractors who were up before me (and there is no new project signed off on the horizon, plenty in the pipeline but nothing concrete), it may be worth having a word I guess.

Comment

Speak to the client and see how they feel about it, if the project is finished and your just doing documents see if they will let you continue this from home/ see how flexible they are tell them you have been contacted by a previous client and you always try and look after your old clients so you need to depart early but only if they have nothing more for you to do.

Also speak to new client say yes I would love to come but need to finish off here can I get a flexible start say 2-3 days a week because I wouldn't want to leave my previous client before the project end

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                Right here's the SP. My current contract role finishes at the end of June with an extension possible but highly unlikely, as I've mentioned before I always finish a contract and haven't bailed early yet, notice period here is 1 week. Good client to work for, no complaints there. Project was delivered a few weeks ago and I'm now doing bug fixes, CRs and documentation updates until I go. Got a call from the dev manager at the place I was at a year ago, desperate for 2 devs for a 6 month contract and would rather go with me another guy I've worked with before, direct so rate is very good. Great client WFH one day a week and tech/dev environment is much better than here. He can't wait any more than 2 weeks max (6 out of the question), do I bail and take another 6 months guaranteed work or stay and risk being on the bench over the quiet summer period?
                How about a different perspective... Is this new work in your schedule? Are you taking on extra work outside your original scope? Are you working a bit BAU now? Are you being told what to do to fill your time? All of this is not good for IR35 so putting you at risk. Would this IR35 risk sway your decision at all? Some people just don't care so it wouldn't.

For me I'd be done with it. It's delivered so I move on. I wouldn't be worrying about a bit of bench time. It's what we do and the war chest is healthy. In fact I be looking forward to some time off after a decent gig.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For me I'd be done with it. It's delivered so I move on. I wouldn't be worrying about a bit of bench time. It's what we do and the war chest is healthy. In fact I be looking forward to some time off after a decent gig.
                  This as well

Comment

How about a different perspective... Is this new work in your schedule? Are you taking on extra work outside your original scope? Are you working a bit BAU now? Are you being told what to do to fill your time? All of this is not good for IR35 so putting you at risk. Would this IR35 risk sway your decision at all? Some people just don't care so it wouldn't.

In all fairness bug fixing, CRs and docs is all for the project im contracted to deliver and forms the endgame, so I'm happy from an IR35 POV, but I get your point and am wary of just that... oh and the warchest could do with another 6 months of invoicing Mrs STJ has been on a spending spree with the house!

Comment

Working...
                    X