• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was interviewed for a role 6 months back and got a refusal (I got detailed feedback so no agency tricks here, some of the feedback and interview was odd, almost like the interviewer did not want me to get the role). I had a call from another pimp about the same role last week and told them I have already been unsuccessful their response was "but your CV is perfect.". For a laugh I said submit my CV and see what happens, I have another interview next week. Go figure.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 17 September 2019, 13:49.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      I was interviewed for a role 6 months back and got a refusal (I got detailed feedback so no agency tricks here, some of the feedback and interview was odd, almost like the interviewer did not want me to get the role). I had a call from another pimp about the same role last week and told them I have already been unsuccessful their response was "but your CV is perfect.". For a laugh I said submit my CV and see what happens, I have another interview next week. Go figure.
      It's like going to an exam where you already know all the questions/answers... it shouldn't be a problem then. Good luck.

Comment

I had something like this too. Its always worth another go if time has passed. There may have been a change of guard and you may find the interviewer has only recently joined the company. This was the case for me and I got offered the exact same role 2nd time around.

Didn't take it in the end due to a better offer elsewhere

Comment

They won't suspect a thing...

Comment

Years ago I interviewed at a bank for a job writing a trade capture system in C++. The interview focussed on what happens inside the 'new' statement, malloc, how memory boundaries are handled etc. I really did not know much about it and I explained that I had never needed to that deep and I had written trade capture systems in other banks without any issue.

I got failed for not being able to answer basic C++ questions.

I got a call a few weeks or maybe months later asking whether I was still interested. It turns out that the guy interviewing me had joined the company a few weeks previously, knew nothing about banking but had just come from a job writing a compiler. They found out that his idea of 'basic C++ questions' did not match theirs and were now having someone else do the interviews with him sitting in on them to observe so they were trying to contact previous candidates who had passed the screening and reinterview them. Unfortunately I was already somewhere else by then
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Probably nepotism he had a friend or friend of a friend who they wanted to hand the job to but they have to be seen to be impartial! This happens a lot in IT especially with the more well paid roles....

Comment

Years ago at an interview the IT manager pulled up an super complex RPG program and asked me to explain what I thought has happening, told me to take 20mins.

A quick glance at the 5000 line program and I scrolled to the bottom in 10 seconds and told him exactly what it did

He looked puzzled and angry and accused me of getting info from past Candidates and stormed out of the room, leaving just the HR manager

The HR manager was most amused when I explained I had written that program they use for a software house some 6 months earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Years ago at an interview the IT manager pulled up an super complex RPG program and asked me to explain what I thought has happening, told me to take 20mins.

A quick glance at the 5000 line program and I scrolled to the bottom in 10 seconds and told him exactly what it did

He looked puzzled and angry and accused me of getting info from past Candidates and stormed out of the room, leaving just the HR manager

The HR manager was most amused when I explained I had written that program they use for a software house some 6 months earlier

I had something similar once.
                  and my name was on the header section as author, and on three subsequent updates from previous contracts.

Comment

It's surprising how often this happens. I applied direct for a perm role with a global pharmaceutical company and got turned down. About two months later an agent called me about the same role. I explained that I had been turned down but the agent assured me that it was a different role and a new hiring manager. The job spec was 99% the same but I applied anyway. Feedback was good and they wanted to interview me but before it could be arranged, the role was canned.

I've since been approached many times for almost the same contract or perm role at the same company but they have a bad reputation as being incredibly opaque and difficult to deal with so I can never be bothered.

I've had the same happen with a very well known large retailer too.

Comment

Is this literally the worst time of 2019 to be looking for a role?

Comment

Working...
                      X