State of the Market State of the Market - Page 228
Page 228 of 254 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238 ... LastLast
Posts 2,271 to 2,280 of 2539

Should post faster

I don't know, is it too late to renegotiate your rate for that contract?

If you can, bump it up by 20-25% to cover your butt

Still gathering requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by PCTNN View Post
    I don't know, is it too late to renegotiate your rate for that contract?

If you can, bump it up by 20-25% to cover your butt
    I've not signed anything yet. the offer way made on Friday and he is pressuring me to sign today or else will be offered to another candidate.

I will try to see the appetite for renegotiation before i sign.

Quote Originally Posted by globalBA View Post
    I've not signed anything yet. the offer way made on Friday and he is pressuring me to sign today or else will be offered to another candidate.

I will try to see the appetite for renegotiation before i sign.
    The agency is now offering to reduce it back down to the original 6 month contract instead of the 12 month (with no clarity around their ir35 'solution').

More time posting than coding

The agency is now offering to reduce it back down to the original 6 month contract instead of the 12 month (with no clarity around their ir35 'solution').
    Assuming you start next week, that takes the end date to Mid-March. What is the invoicing cycle and payment terms? Remember its payments in the new tax year that drives determination, not when the work took place.

You could still take the contract and invoke notice earlier, but the client's position on IR35 determination is still important. eg, if they make a decision in January that the role will be inside IR35 as of April, and you end up on an HMRC investigation list...

Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    Assuming you start next week, that takes the end date to Mid-March. What is the invoicing cycle and payment terms? Remember its payments in the new tax year that drives determination, not when the work took place.

You could still take the contract and invoke notice earlier, but the client's position on IR35 determination is still important. eg, if they make a decision in January that the role will be inside IR35 as of April, and you end up on an HMRC investigation list...
    The role doesn't start until the end of October. But the agency is really pushing hard to get me to sign today.

I'm quite confused. 12 months would normally be great. But with iR35 on the horizon I feel 6 month is a more sensible approach.

Should post faster

The role doesn't start until the end of October. But the agency is really pushing hard to get me to sign today.

I'm quite confused. 12 months would normally be great. But with iR35 on the horizon I feel 6 month is a more sensible approach.
    So now your choice is between

- a permanent role
    - a 6 months contract with no extension (because if there is an extension it will most likely be inside ir35, and if you accept that then you'll be on top of the list for an hmrc investigation and ultimately might be asked to pay tax on the first 6 months as well)

I know what I would do.

Contractor Among Contractors

This is exactly my concern. It's almost certain that it will be inside IR35. Would you expect them be able to confirm for a 12 month role if the contract is inside or outside for April 2020.

I'm certain by the ambiguous responses that it will be inside IR35 and with a 12 month contract this then leave me unable to renegotiate when it switches to IR35. He hasn't explained to me the solution they have in place, I believe the Employer NI contribution will have to come from the client, but that is what I have read online, the agency hasn't confirmed that.
    How can you be sure?
    Did you get the contract reviewed for IR35?
    Is there a notice period for you to terminate the contract?

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    This morning

Agent: "Hi CheeseSlice.. are you available?, I have an urgent contract that needs to start Monday ideally.. can you be on a call with the client this afternoon?.."
    Me: "Yes I am.. My rate is X.. sure the call is OK"
    Agent now sounding very excited: "Great thats all fine, I'll go and set up the call for this afternoon and let you know the details!!"
    <Hangs up>

6 hours later...

My current gig started with those.

Availability for meetings is the same as it is for contracts: I'm immediately available for everything, all the time, unless I'm really really not. And I'll tell you then if that's the case.

That's one way of getting out of having to make any IR35 determinations

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ristmas-704694

Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    That's one way of getting out of having to make any IR35 determinations

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ristmas-704694
    Standard Life Aberdeen has had some other major business challenges for the last 2-3 years which probably caused them to focus on cost rather than anything else. In this case, I don't think all the blame on those cuts can be attributed to IR35 although it was probably a factor.