• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current contract finishes in a month, client "says" they're going to extend.

PerfectStorm knows better than to take client at their word and is looking now so at least they have a plan B.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I have noticed there do seem to be a lot of roles looking for cloud and data science. Which is odd because I have never seen a client that exists that uses either. I'm not saying they don't exist, but based on my experience of financial institutions they must have all gone cutting edge overnight, or the market is over representing what it thinks a market would look like if there were any real roles, and under representing reality.

Suity conclusion, check back later in January when the decision makers are back from their extended winter break and have sobered up a bit.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
      Yep, Amazon have confirmed zero sales of AWS to large businesses ever. Carry on suity.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        Last couple of clients throwing everything into the cloud.
        Keep taps on them in 3-5 years when the estimated costs turn out to be quadruple and contracts expire, so they come to their senses and look for talent to move the services back on-prem.

Comment

Case of cling onto your current gig with your life, I think.

Unsure what my future at current co will be. No mention of IR35. Was told they don't usually do contractors but they'd like to extend. Heard both of those things before. Very early. Gig's not up for a couple more months.

Given posts about April meaning a flooded market, I think best option is to find a valuable missing skill and take a permie role learning it. I expect it'll be like taking a paid holiday, at the end of it you can hopefully hop back on the contractor train once it leaves IR35 station and picks up speed from all the banks going 'umm... we have no resource'.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I have noticed there do seem to be a lot of roles looking for cloud and data science. Which is odd because I have never seen a client that exists that uses either. I'm not saying they don't exist, but based on my experience of financial institutions they must have all gone cutting edge overnight, or the market is over representing what it thinks a market would look like if there were any real roles, and under representing reality.

Suity conclusion, check back later in January when the decision makers are back from their extended winter break and have sobered up a bit.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
            Not sure about financial institutions, but every single hipster startup is "data driven" and that means cloud, automated pipelines, CI/CD and data scientists using Python.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
              I expect it'll be like taking a paid holiday, at the end of it you can hopefully hop back on the contractor train once it leaves IR35 station and picks up speed from all the banks going 'umm... we have no resource'.
              If I've learnt anything from markets it's that the opposite to what you expect will happen.

I don't want to be doom and gloom but I'd say even getting a permie gig as a band aid won't be a walk in the park.

Comment

I hereby declare Christmas well and truly over. My phone has been ringing off the hook today.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  I hereby declare Christmas well and truly over. My phone has been ringing off the hook today.
                  Mine not exactly ringing off the hook, but I had an interview today & a call about another good sounding role, good rate, outside (ps). So fingers crossed not all bad!
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    Pimps going full blast after the holiday. Probably some cocacola left in the system from the holidays.
                    Maybe people can contradict me but phone activity is not always a sign that the market is picking up, they still have to look busy in their offices, earn their stripes, fish for leads etc...
                    As someone said above, decision makers are probably still hitting the slopes. It will take some time for them to sober up metaphorically and literally.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      Pimps going full blast after the holiday. Probably some cocacola left in the system from the holidays.
                      Maybe people can contradict me but phone activity is not always a sign that the market is picking up, they still have to look busy in their offices, earn their stripes, fish for leads etc...
                      As someone said above, decision makers are probably still hitting the slopes. It will take some time for them to sober up metaphorically and literally.
                      Negative thoughts invite negative outcome.
                      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                      X