State of the Market State of the Market - Page 382
Page 382 of 422 FirstFirst ... 282332372380381382383384392 ... LastLast
Posts 3,811 to 3,820 of 4213

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    Yeah, for 'abusing tags'.

What on earth IS that? Not for amusement, but just in case I (or anyone else) fall into that trap.
    Don't worry, unending tedium and sprouting rubbish isn't bannable.. carry on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't worry, unending tedium and sprouting rubbish isn't bannable.. carry on.
    After all these years OCUK still doesn't have a black pot kettle icon..
    nomadd liked this post

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by hairymouse View Post
    Is anyone else seeing companies taking advantage of the current situation to lower salaries and rates through the floor?
    That seemed like more of a February/March thing when IR35 was still happening

I live on CUK

Unfortunately, it sounds like they're paying the new market rate. Sometimes you have to suck it up to keep the wolf from the door.
    Last edited by Old Greg; 22nd May 2020 at 14:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Still gathering requirements...

Yes, I had an offer of £200 pounds a day lower than my expected rate. Agent came back a week later and offered £100 more, as another guy they interviewed got caught out lying about skills at phone interview. That’s what happens when you offer low rates. I still declined, as was not enthusiastic about the company and was £100 a day down.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by caffeine man; 22nd May 2020 at 15:00. Reason: hairymouse asked me to remove the quote slagging his potential boss.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine man View Post
    Yes, I had an offer of £200 pounds a day lower than my expected rate. Agent came back a week later and offered £100 more, as another guy they interviewed got caught out lying about skills at phone interview. That’s what happens when you offer low rates. I still declined, as was not enthusiastic about the company and was £100 a day down.
    100 quid a day down compared to what? Nothing?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine man View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    When was this? Probably should have just taken it if the only issue was the £100 day discount...

The fact they offered £200 less than your regular day rate tells me your regular day rate is probably high enough that the £100 day rate discount won't have any impact on your take home pay as you're likely well above basic tax rate.

So you're making the decision to deplete your reserves instead of feed them in an absolute tulip job market. I mean that's your choice but just seems silly to me.

Contractor Among Contractors

Nothing like burning £400 of opportunity cost a day waiting for a £500 gig

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Unfortunately, it sound like they're paying the new market rate. Sometimes you have to suck it up to keep the wolf from the door.
    Yep, that's what I am going to do. I'll have to tighten my belt for a few months and then when the market has changed I'll be looking for the new market rate and then some.

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by hairymouse View Post
    Yep, that's what I am going to do. I'll have to tighten my belt for a few months and then when the market has changed I'll be looking for the new market rate and then some.
    My one extended bench time was in 2010 IIRC. After 5 months, I got a call from an old contractor colleague on a Thursday. Could I start Monday? Crappy rate, 1k per month travel into London. I grabbed the opportunity like a tulipty stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018