• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything seems to need SC clearance at the moment. Annoyingly mine lapsed a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
      I've just hit the bench. The new perm job I was due to start just got canned, 3 months into the pandemic...

Got a warchest to keep my going, but I'm not used to not working (only had 1 holiday in 2.5 years) so splitting hairs at the mo. I'll spread the seed and see what the market looks like.
      why not do some classes, either as tutor or student. The former can be a good source of extra cash

In my local area people are offering Excel classes

Comment

Some industries must be in better shape than others.. where do you see demand? In my experience, pharma and NHS (for NHS, supply chain only) are still hiring.

Comment

Agent pinged me on LinkedIn, no mention of a role. Wanted to know the structure of the company I'm director of. Asked how the company performs development, I mentioned that if additional resource needed to cover emergencies etc then I've a pool of people I can contact.

"So it sounds like you'd be a competitor rather than a collaborator then?"

I'm sensing either that agent has a staggering level of cognitive dissonance or is so busy he can troll, albeit not very successfully.

EDIT: He's still rambling! "So for example if I put you on site with a client and then they need more people, your presumably would put your guys forward?"

I've politely replied the company isn't an agency or a recruitment company.. again... it's as if right of substitution has never occurred to them.
          Last edited by perplexed; 4 June 2020, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
            why not do some classes, either as tutor or student. The former can be a good source of extra cash

In my local area people are offering Excel classes
            Good idea - every option is on the table.

Just resting for now, before I decide to do. Been meaning to get into trading for a number of years now, so I'd like to kick that off with a small sum. And I'll probably still update my CV and chuck it online to gauge what the markets like. A part-time home based job would be great at the moment; few days work followed by long weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
              Good idea - every option is on the table.

Just resting for now, before I decide to do. Been meaning to get into trading for a number of years now, so I'd like to kick that off with a small sum. And I'll probably still update my CV and chuck it online to gauge what the markets like. A part-time home based job would be great at the moment; few days work followed by long weekends.
              Spend my time dealing with the kids, keeping an eye on job market, updating web site, write code to slap on github as code examples, writing blogs etc. Add in box sets of Battlestar Galactica ( both versions ) and SyFy channel having ST:TNG, ST:Voyager and ST: DS9 and I'm sorted - along with beer.

Also taking lessons from ST: DS9 and looking to use the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition to contracting...

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                Everything seems to need SC clearance at the moment. Annoyingly mine lapsed a couple of years ago.
                That and Cloud. Everything else is on the CV but these, it seems...

Of course, in more normal times, I wouldn't actually have to have Cloud as a deliverable on my CV. This as exemplified by the fact that every single project delivery, from a subject point of view, has been a first for me.

moan moan moan

Comment

No phone calls for over two weeks now...

This doesn't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    No phone calls for over two weeks now...

This doesn't look good.
                    Are you still sleeping and dreaming?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                      Are you still sleeping and dreaming?
                      What do you mean my friend?

Comment

Working...
                      X