State of the Market State of the Market - Page 434
Page 434 of 525 FirstFirst ... 334384424432433434435436444484 ... LastLast
Posts 4,331 to 4,340 of 5248
  1. #4331

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    He clearly thinks you are the perfect fit for that rate......
    I had a gig couple of years ago with a company known to be paying peanuts, but I was in a desperate situation. When looking for next one, some agents were trying to set me up with another low paying gig pointing a t the past contract. It was quite funny, but I was in much better position then and I could pick and choose.
    I think the main motivation now is the sad state of the market, but I have some buffer...

  2. #4332

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    26,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    I had a gig couple of years ago with a company known to be paying peanuts, but I was in a desperate situation.
    And they got monkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  3. #4333

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    This is what a 90% drop in job market activity feels like.

    It could be like this for another 12 months.
    I reckon longer with IR35 looming in April and Covid probably still around spring 2021. The only three contracts I've seen in the last few weeks were paying peanuts, around 30-40% below normal market rate, I reckon some hiring managers must be enjoying seeing contractors on the begging end of the stick. Even most contracts in mainland Europe are paying laughable inclusive rates with two page requirements lists.
    Last edited by dsc; 5th August 2020 at 23:24.

  4. #4334

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    An agent called me today with the same role he called me a month ago. Still quite laughable rate...
    Don't be like me and ignore that laughable rate for months and end up eventually taking one even lower.

  5. #4335

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    i am actually finding the market a bit better than when I was looking last Summer. Still no joy but last year I was going weeks without seeing a suitable contract on Jobserve, plus LinkedIn seems to have come into play in the interim.

  6. #4336

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    i am actually finding the market a bit better than when I was looking last Summer. Still no joy but last year I was going weeks without seeing a suitable contract on Jobserve, plus LinkedIn seems to have come into play in the interim.
    I read a post on Linked In yesterday from a recruiter saying he was just posting roles on Linked In rather than Jobserve, as he would have had 400 applications to sift through.

    Then again, from what I've seen on the other side of the process, plenty of people apply without having relevant skills. I'm not talking missing one or two of the role requirements, but not really having done that type of role at all.
    Last edited by LadyPenelope; 6th August 2020 at 10:15.

  7. #4337

    Banned


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Fellas, I need a bit of advice.

    I am currently in a contract which is inside IR35. Damn IR35 almost halves my daily rate! This is also the first time that I have worked inside IR35. I have been in this contract for just over a year and the client generously keeps renewing my contract.
    BUT, I am working with freshies, who have landed the roles in my team due to incompetent hiring process ( one phone interview and you got the job ) , who can't follow basic instructions and don't have much experience but walk around with the air that they should be the CTO's of the place!

    I am thinking of leaving this contract. Will it be a good idea to leave now in this COVID era? Or, just be grateful that I am getting paid and carry on till mid next year when post COVID and post Brexit situation will improve.

  8. #4338

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    26,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naruto1 View Post
    Fellas, I need a bit of advice.

    I am currently in a contract which is inside IR35. Damn IR35 almost halves my daily rate! This is also the first time that I have worked inside IR35. I have been in this contract for just over a year and the client generously keeps renewing my contract.
    BUT, I am working with freshies, who have landed the roles in my team due to incompetent hiring process ( one phone interview and you got the job ) , who can't follow basic instructions and don't have much experience but walk around with the air that they should be the CTO's of the place!

    I am thinking of leaving this contract. Will it be a good idea to leave now in this COVID era? Or, just be grateful that I am getting paid and carry on till mid next year when post COVID and post Brexit situation will improve.
    Find a new contract and then leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  9. #4339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naruto1 View Post
    Fellas, I need a bit of advice.

    I am currently in a contract which is inside IR35. Damn IR35 almost halves my daily rate! This is also the first time that I have worked inside IR35. I have been in this contract for just over a year and the client generously keeps renewing my contract.
    BUT, I am working with freshies, who have landed the roles in my team due to incompetent hiring process ( one phone interview and you got the job ) , who can't follow basic instructions and don't have much experience but walk around with the air that they should be the CTO's of the place!

    I am thinking of leaving this contract. Will it be a good idea to leave now in this COVID era? Or, just be grateful that I am getting paid and carry on till mid next year when post COVID and post Brexit situation will improve.
    Leave when you find a new role - simples

    Set your newbies simple tasks with a deadline, if the meet the deadline increase and make harder, if the fail it give you ammo to get rid


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  10. #4340

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a permanent state of hatred for orange goblins.
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Having just been diagnosed with autism, tempted to change company pitch... "Hey, clients, why offshore for a crap service when you can hire this company and tick your disability boxes at the same time"...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •