• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    While not a contract per se, I had seen, applied for, and had a chat with the agent about some volunteer PM work for the NHS.

Advert and agent was dealt with on 2nd July.
    Chat with NHS on 29th July - this was more of an introduction to the project where I 'interviewed' him more than him me.
    Asked to start 3rd August.
    Was told more likely 10th August.
    Was told on 7th August some forms needed to be sent over for me to complete for some onboarding checks.
    Today is the 11th and absolutely no word from anyone. ....Two weeks after my chat with the NHS!

Was honestly quite excited about getting some Public Sector work on the CV, and specifically to give something back to the NHS. But having chased every two days since the beginning of July, I dunno...
    Decided yesterday to write to the agents highlighting the above and expressing disappointment that even they could not communicate a position. Even that did not inspire communication.

One of the conversations I'd had with the agent during the process was if they themselves were receiving any remuneration. Like me, they were not. I highlighted the fact that chasing paid contracts would then always make this NHS job second fiddle. Oh no, they assured me...!

I really do not ever expect to be told no after a simple application, but for there to be nothing after an interview...?

Poor show people.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Decided yesterday to write to the agents highlighting the above and expressing disappointment that even they could not communicate a position. Even that did not inspire communication.

One of the conversations I'd had with the agent during the process was if they themselves were receiving any remuneration. Like me, they were not. I highlighted the fact that chasing paid contracts would then always make this NHS job second fiddle. Oh no, they assured me...!

I really do not ever expect to be told no after a simple application, but for there to be nothing after an interview...?

Poor show people.
      It's contracting. Get over it and move on.

If you want to help the NHS don't waste the time of the people trying to recruit for it when it's clear you failed the process.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm shocked guys yesterday I uploaded my CV to CW jobs I've got three recruiter calls

Two just wanted to keep me on the books one was a perm position

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's contracting. Get over it and move on.

If you want to help the NHS don't waste the time of the people trying to recruit for it when it's clear you failed the process.
          Normally I would agree with you but not getting back to some who offered their services for free is an extremely poor effort.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Normally I would agree with you but not getting back to some who offered their services for free is an extremely poor effort.
            Oh grief. Thanks Sussex.

This crackerjack is long term on my Ignore list so didn't even bother to open it up knowing he would likely be misunderstanding the thrust of the message and gobbing all over the estate in his usual illiterate manner.

You are right, the thrust was not whether I had failed (I had been given a start date which is less Failure, and more, perhaps, Change of Client's mind) but one of basic and common courtesy and a lack thereof from the Agent who had assured me of this and that. In this case, less 'contracting' and more 'volunteering'.

No sympathy was being asked for, nor expected. Just an unoriginal comment on Agents' behaviours.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
              I'm shocked guys yesterday I uploaded my CV to CW jobs I've got three recruiter calls

Two just wanted to keep me on the books one was a perm position
              Similar thing here on CV library - nothing, nada

These two weeks have been really dead for me, hoping September brings some change, if not I'm seriously considering leaving the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                Similar thing here on CV library - nothing, nada

These two weeks have been really dead for me, hoping September brings some change, if not I'm seriously considering leaving the UK.
                CV library was a complete waste of time when I looked at it last time. Has it changed or so you need to Re think your strategy?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm in engineering and it was always reasonable, generating at least a few phone calls or emails. Tried Total Jobs as well, that's a waste of time for sure, Indeed comes right behind imho. If I'm missing something obvious then please make me aware.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                    whats FOG?
                    Favour of God
                    Four old guys
                    Fields of glory

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                      I'm in engineering and it was always reasonable, generating at least a few phone calls or emails. Tried Total Jobs as well, that's a waste of time for sure, Indeed comes right behind imho. If I'm missing something obvious then please make me aware.
                      State of the market: it's looks dire.

Some of the stuff falling into my INBOX goes like this:

*Please be aware that the successful candidate will be required to use an Umbrella Company** (Northamptonshire (Remote initially) £310 per day)

An experienced Developer with an Agile background is required by a Global consultancy, based in the Worthing area. Please note that this role will begin as a remote position, until further notice. £40-60K max (HMRC!!)

This will be an initial 6-12-month contract and daily rate is varied dependent on experience and location, although those who are willing to be flexible and competitive will be favoured due to the current climate. (SC Clearance job for DevOps in London)

**Please note this role falls inside IR35** (London full stack developer contract job)
                      Required Experience:* Expert in Java (8) Spring and NodeJS

Comment

Working...
                      X