State of the Market State of the Market - Page 51
Page 51 of 618 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast
Posts 501 to 510 of 6178

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    You've just described a DevOps developer/tester.

I would expect it to be easier for a developer to learn testing and network skills (for example) than a manual tester or network engineer to learn coding (and development skills to go with it) but not hugely difficult for those with the aptitude.
    It is certainly not impossible a manual tester contractor could teach themselves automated testing (I am having a go at it myself) but they would then have to find a client who would take them on with no commercial experience or lie and run the risk of being found out.

A lot of developers don't make good functional testers.

Besides which, I would have thought it one of the easier things to outsource and be aren't that brilliant.

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    I find there are times when it is essential to ask what would Suity do...

And the answer is go Permie...
    Either that or boot up MS Access
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Nervous Newbie

I been off since July - I have had a number of interviews that had dragged on... only to be told that I was pipped at the finishing line.

It has definitely gone quiet now and I do not expect to get anything now until Jan.

BTW - my expertise Banking IT BA / InfoSec with focus on the DLP and IAM side.

Good luck to all those who searching for new roles.

Funnily enough I have had a couple of phone calls this week. One with an actual contract and one with some coming up (in fairness I don't think he was fishing for leads). Might be a final wag of the tail before Christmas starts in a couple of days.

Probably getting a bit late for me as I have a second interview for a permanent job coming up.

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Funnily enough I have had a couple of phone calls this week. One with an actual contract and one with some coming up (in fairness I don't think he was fishing for leads). Might be a final wag of the tail before Christmas starts in a couple of days.

Probably getting a bit late for me as I have a second interview for a permanent job coming up.
    Shame its a bit late, good luck with it all though

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Shame its a bit late, good luck with it all though
    We shall see. My concern is that even if I get something this isn't a short term blip and I have this same problem in 6 to 12 months.

Double Godlike!

Could be the clever ones with 2017 budget approved who want to get the best guys first.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Double Godlike!

We shall see. My concern is that even if I get something this isn't a short term blip and I have this same problem in 6 to 12 months.
    Isn't that contracting in general though? There's always some lull somewhere.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Could be the clever ones with 2017 budget approved who want to get the best guys first.
    I've had roles that have interviewed me in November/December for a December/January start. With the December start they want you on-site before Xmas then basically give you a long Christmas break to ensure they have your skills for their project.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Isn't that contracting in general though? There's always some lull somewhere.
    I am coming to the conclusion that for my skill set (and this may be different for others) a combination of offshoring and market saturation caused by a lot of Visas being given out a few years back for people who now have leave to remain and a lot of ex-permanent people having a go has killed the market.

It is going to take a painful adjustment to change that.