• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by founder View Post
    such a selfish post, 1/5 of UK lives in London
    I'm sorry but

I haven't a clue what that has to do with anything.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
      So you are going to take a pay cut of 10K because you dont have after tax commute costs of 7k? Did not think so.
      Pay cut? Who here is talking about Pay cuts

Once again

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
        such a selfish post, 1/5 of UK lives in London
        Majority of the youngsters that were paying £1200++ a month each to share 6 bedroom houses with 1 bathroom have moved back to the shires and a few to warmer countries for the winter

1 chap has an entire 6 bedroom house to himself as everyone else is gone and landlord can’t get replacements - he once had a wait list of hundreds, he has 8 houses like this all empty

I’m thinking about giving him and his type a 2 min round of applause to support them in hour of need

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I'm sorry but

I haven't a clue what that has to do with anything.
          And it's untrue. But that poster was spilling some incontinent nonsense about the WHO - not worth taking too much notice.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Majority of the youngsters that were paying £1200++ a month each to share 6 bedroom houses with 1 bathroom have moved back to the shires and a few to warmer countries for the winter

1 chap has an entire 6 bedroom house to himself as everyone else is gone and landlord can’t get replacements - he once had a wait list of hundreds, he has 8 houses like this all empty

I’m thinking about giving him and his type a 2 min round of applause to support them in hour of need

We could start a fundraiser.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
              So you are going to take a pay cut of 10K because you dont have after tax commute costs of 7k? Did not think so.
              No but new roles 100% WFH have taken a 20% haircut on pre lockdown rates

Comment

WFH trend has definitely been a factor in driving down salaries. But it's only temporary - "temporary" being anything upto 2/3 years. Will take time for salaries to normalise.

Market was dead for me in terms of job vacancies last week - I think the last of the September flurry is done n gone. Not expecting much to come on the market until latter end of Q1 2021.
                Last edited by sira; 21 September 2020, 09:01.

Comment

Don't forget that fully remote positions are practically open to anyone in the world with a good enough network connection, so the competition is much greater. You might be up against people who are happy to be on 30-40% less than what you need to get by simply because their cost of living is way less abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                    Don't forget that fully remote positions are practically open to anyone in the world with a good enough network connection, so the competition is much greater. You might be up against people who are happy to be on 30-40% less than what you need to get by simply because their cost of living is way less abroad.
                    Spot on. Although less pertinent for permie jobs as companies are forecasting Covid to be over in 2021 - during the interviews I've had recently they've said they would expect me back in the office.

Comment

Hiring overseas isn't exactly the walk in the park people seem to be making it out to be. Companies won't flip to that immediately.

You have consider differences like time zones, culture, language, different national holidays, pay rates, labour laws, etc etc. Yes they could pick up the phone to a large offshoring company and demand a team of 30 to start on Monday but that way lies madness.

A company looking to shift work to cheaper overseas resources also has to consider the correct way of letting go the UK based workforce.

Comment

Working...
                      X