• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I've had roles that have interviewed me in November/December for a December/January start. With the December start they want you on-site before Xmas then basically give you a long Christmas break to ensure they have your skills for their project.
    You might well be right but I grow a bit cynical of talking to agents who have roles that are perfect for you then you never hear f on again.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      You might well be right but I grow a bit cynical of talking to agents who have roles that are perfect for you then you never hear f on again.
      If they've got a role, find out who the client is asap in the conversation. If they're not willing to tell you then there isn't a role and they're fishing. If you've been benched for a while, in their eyes you'll be more desperate and more likely to take the bait.

I am coming to the conclusion that for my skill set (and this may be different for others) a combination of offshoring and market saturation caused by a lot of Visas being given out a few years back for people who now have leave to remain and a lot of ex-permanent people having a go has killed the market.

It is going to take a painful adjustment to change that.
      Test management seems to be a better option than test analyst these days. I've seen a lot of the gruntwork off-shored.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        If they've got a role, find out who the client is asap in the conversation. If they're not willing to tell you then there isn't a role and they're fishing. If you've been benched for a while, in their eyes you'll be more desperate and more likely to take the bait.

Test management seems to be a better option than test analyst these days. I've seen a lot of the gruntwork off-shored.
        True, but they expect quite a lot for the well paying roles, as you know LM my Mrs is a contract test manager.

She is ISEB qualified, has passed Prince 2 to a certain level, managed large teams on and off shore, has to have a good understanding of the technologies of each project, 9 years experience, some as consultant, some as contractor doing it.
        Whilst on the bench helping launch and market some start up test management software off her own back.

Recently one of the very main reasons, she landed a very good role, despite all the other things, was the start up test management software role she took on whilst on the bench.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Agents as soon as they smell a whiff of a role will try and find candidates. Some of these roles never get signed off which is why you never hear from the agent again. Other times the client will interview you and only then do you find out the role hasn't been signed off so you are likely wasting your time.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Funnily enough I haven't had that many agents launch fishing exercises this time round, which reminds me a bit of the last slump in 08/09 when the recruitment industry seemed to go into hibernation for a few months.

I agree about the offshoring. I suspect the era when contractors were the main resource for the development and testing of large projects and programmes has passed.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              True, but they expect quite a lot for the well paying roles, as you know LM my Mrs is a contract test manager.

She is ISEB qualified, has passed Prince 2 to a certain level, managed large teams on and off shore, has to have a good understanding of the technologies of each project, 9 years experience, some as consultant, some as contractor doing it.
              Whilst on the bench helping launch and market some start up test management software off her own back.

Recently one of the very main reasons, she landed a very good role, despite all the other things, was the start up test management software role she took on whilst on the bench.
              Yep, part of the reasoning behind my post in addition to the Yorkshire chap we both know. Not comparing the two of them, more that test manager, if you've got the skills and quals, seems like something that can run and run over here with the right clients.

Funnily enough I haven't had that many agents launch fishing exercises this time round, which reminds me a bit of the last slump in 08/09 when the recruitment industry seemed to go into hibernation for a few months.

I agree about the offshoring. I suspect the era when contractors were the main resource for the development and testing of large projects and programmes has passed.
              Perhaps they can see how long you've been contracting from your cv so know better by now. Thinking about it, I've had fewer fishing calls the longer I've been contracting.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yep, part of the reasoning behind my post in addition to the Yorkshire chap we both know. Not comparing the two of them, more that test manager, if you've got the skills and quals, seems like something that can run and run over here with the right clients.
                Very true and as in everything else you get "Test Managers" and Test Managers
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Very true and as in everything else you get "Test Managers" and Test Managers
                  And very occasionally one finds a Test Mangler. And then you know about it, let me tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    And very occasionally one finds a Test Mangler. And then you know about it, let me tell you.
                    Even match Barry
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      A mangled seagull. Gosh. Glad I'm not eating.

Comment

Working...
                      X