• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Ah yes. VF. Fantastic company anywhere outside of the UK. Utter horsetulip like this on a daily basis in Newbury (or Paddington for those who can't be arsed to go to Newbury / live there).
    Voda is an awful company. When asked by agents where I might not like to return, Voda is the committed answer. Contracts even for supplier companies to Voda get short shrift.

Having contracted there twice, the second time after having vowed never to contract there again but, upon being assured the company was 'nothing like it used to be', I bailed, only to find that not only was it still 'like', but that it had found new depths of bureaucracy and pettiness, I am Now, and finally, committed never to return.

Having only been at the Newbury campus, the place is like a mini police state. Middle management change every few weeks, each newer and shinier model halting proceedings because they first have to shake things up. I am ashamed to say having been there for a total of roughly 15 months, I have not delivered one solitary thing.

One manager, he shall of course remain nameless but he should have been strangled at birth, once sent me a text in a meeting asking if I was paying attention. Another time, and for some obscure reason, he wanted a transcription of 100's of emails to trace the path of someone's argument. It was a tough market, I stuck it out.

Contractors are not allowed to park on site, or at least during my time. However, there was one on-site section that, when space became available, contractors were allowed to put their names on a waiting list. A functionary was in charge of that list. The list was a manually entered excel spreadsheet. Names were added, but were they ever deleted?

I popped over to look at the hallowed ground only to find the parking lot practically empty. Two subsequent visits on subsequent days confirmed a Thought. The names of the contractors who left, were not being deleted from the sheet. Upon speaking to said functionary, face to face, she said, and I sh-t you not, 'My spreadsheet says the car park is full. So until it empties you will have to use the off site car park.'

It is an exhausting place. You go there to die. A dreadful company that surprises me it ever makes a profit.

Comment

A very interesting reply on VF - Thanks for sharing - Having never contracted in telecoms is this specific to VF or all telecoms in the UK and would be good to know what sort of hours you had to do and at least whether they paid competitively....

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        A very interesting reply on VF - Thanks for sharing - Having never contracted in telecoms is this specific to VF or all telecoms in the UK and would be good to know what sort of hours you had to do and at least whether they paid competitively....
        FOG

Why do you want to know this. Just trolling.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          FOLPM

ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            Voda is an awful company. When asked by agents where I might not like to return, Voda is the committed answer.
            I always thought this was a roundabout way of an agent working out if you were a 'difficult' candidate and, as with most agent questions, not to be answered in good faith
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              I always thought this was a roundabout way of an agent working out if you were a 'difficult' candidate and, as with most agent questions, not to be answered in good faith
              I always used to confused agents as I spent 18 months at Caudwell (where the average was less than 3 months) but refused to go near Barclays at Knutsford.
              Last edited by eek; 26 October 2020, 09:58.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Good point.

However in the case of Voda I am on safe ground as numerous agents have heard the veritable same, and many a time. It's almost a joke. Some agents are personal friends first, agents second. As in, I have known them only as local friends...

To shore up negating the 'difficult', the CV has multiple instances of three other clients to whom I have returned many a time.

But, point well taken.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  FOG

That's not an unreasonable question, surely? What I've heard anecdotally from friends who've worked in telcos is they do seem to be a bit of a PITA compared to some other sectors. Horses for courses, but some sectors may not be a good fit for some people. I personally would avoid financial services at all costs if my experience working at a bank was anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                    That's not an unreasonable question, surely? What I've heard anecdotally from friends who've worked in telcos is they do seem to be a bit of a PITA compared to some other sectors.
                    By way of comparison, O2 is a breath of fresh air. Pragmatism and 'Let's get it done' have made my several times there an utter joy.

One more story and then I'm done.

While at O2 I delivered a small product that from your phone, allowed you to create postcards that with your photo and text, would then be printed, stamped and posted to anyone anywhere in the world. Clearly this was before smart phones. It took us four months to bash it out. The supplier told us that they had previously supplied the same product to Voda for rollout and it took them over one year.

I said I couldn't possibly believe that.

And then I worked at Voda...

Comment

US group Kirkland & Ellis — the highest grossing law firm in the world with revenue of $4.15bn last year — leads the way in paying its junior lawyers £142,000 a year at the current exchange rate.
                      There is a reason why people don't want to be lawyers and there is also a reason why they are paid £142,000.

Comment

Working...
                      X