• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
    Someone pointed out that April/May are historically strong months... well so far 5 days in April are dead quiet.
    So far the beginning of the Financial New Year has been dead.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I am sure people will be along to tell me how it is all my fault but ultimately the contracts aren't out there anymore.
      This is all part of life and work. I was once out of work for an entire year due to the dotcom crash. Seems unbelievable now but it was the catalyst to me starting my own business and then contracting.

I've also been on the bench for 2-3 months a few times, consequences of the financial meltdown and the impact on the London IB market. Those episodes nearly put me under as I hadn't built up a big enough warchest and had huge outgoings. Again, a lesson learned.

I think the difference now compared to those periods on the bench is that back then there were plenty contracts being advertised and I was getting interviews aplenty, just not landing any. But now, it's definitely a harder market, in my sector at least.

I think what you have to do is stop the rot and just get something, anything, even if it means taking a lesser rate. Look upon it as a loss leader, welcome 'some' money coming back in and then focus on the next stage of your recovery, which is finding something on a more suitable rate.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        This is all part of life and work. I was once out of work for an entire year due to the dotcom crash. Seems unbelievable now but it was the catalyst to me starting my own business and then contracting.

I've also been on the bench for 2-3 months a few times, consequences of the financial meltdown and the impact on the London IB market. Those episodes nearly put me under as I hadn't built up a big enough warchest and had huge outgoings. Again, a lesson learned.

I think the difference now compared to those periods on the bench is that back then there were plenty contracts being advertised and I was getting interviews aplenty, just not landing any. But now, it's definitely a harder market, in my sector at least.

I think what you have to do is stop the rot and just get something, anything, even if it means taking a lesser rate. Look upon it as a loss leader, welcome 'some' money coming back in and then focus on the next stage of your recovery, which is finding something on a more suitable rate.
        Had a few interviews. One before Christmas wasn't my finest hour but that aside couldn't have done much more. They want people on their doorstep who match 110% of the role requirements.

The bizarre thing is rates don't seem to be taking that much of a hit if you can find a contract.

Last time I had an extended period out was on the back of the crash, when at least you could see a reason why things were slow and could reasonably expect things to get better. Since then I had one summer off but have had a fortnight tops between contracts.

The ones who seem to be succeeding have only ever worked in one area and have built up a local network and even they are having extended time between contracts.

Having any variety on your CV or having to travel seems to kill you.

Comment

Had a few interviews. One before Christmas wasn't my finest hour but that aside couldn't have done much more. They want people on their doorstep who match 110% of the role requirements.

The bizarre thing is rates don't seem to be taking that much of a hit if you can find a contract.

Last time I had an extended period out was on the back of the crash, when at least you could see a reason why things were slow and could reasonably expect things to get better. Since then I had one summer off but have had a fortnight tops between contracts.

The ones who seem to be succeeding have only ever worked in one area and have built up a local network and even they are having extended time between contracts.

Having any variety on your CV or having to travel seems to kill you.
          When my gravy train 2nd contract in the north ended I had no alternative but to travel in order to secure a half-decent rate. Ended up in Brighton for over a year and liked Sussex so much I stayed there for 3 years. No that there's a lot of work down there, or if you even live there, but perhaps that dreaded London commute awaits?

Comment

When my gravy train 2nd contract in the north ended I had no alternative but to travel in order to secure a half-decent rate. Ended up in Brighton for over a year and liked Sussex so much I stayed there for 3 years. No that there's a lot of work down there, or if you even live there, but perhaps that dreaded London commute awaits?
            I am about ten miles from Brighton. From memory have been put forward for one Brighton contract which I was eminently qualified to do but didn't get an interview.

Have done London several times and would do it again but i don't think the problems with Southern Rail are helping.

Comment

I am about ten miles from Brighton. From memory have been put forward for one Brighton contract which I was eminently qualified to do but didn't get an interview.

Have done London several times and would do it again but i don't think the problems with Southern Rail are helping.
              I spent the first 6 months in hotels in Brighton, which is definitely a time I will remember! With my eyes set on the London IB market I looked for a place on the Brighton to London mainline and found heaven in mid-Sussex (Staplefield / Slaugham) only around 5 miles from a main commuter station (Haywards Heath). Whilst still contracting in Brighton, I'd drive down to Burgess Hill (lord knows why) and jump on the train into Brighton. Felt like being on holiday. Unfortunately when that gig ended and I got something in London, it was a rude awakening. The dreaded Haywards Heath to London Bridge/Victoria commute. There's a few things around Gatwick/Horsham and down in Brighton but nothing like the numbers or rates that were London. I dread to think what that HH to London commute is like now. Not done that since 2010 when the only way of getting a seat was buying a 1st class ticket. I'm reliably informed that is no longer a guarantee.
              Last edited by oliverson; 5 April 2017, 14:51.

Comment

I am sure people will be along to tell me how it is all my fault but ultimately the contracts aren't out there anymore.
                It's not your fault.

Can you use going permie to move into another discipline?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I spent the first 6 months in hotels in Brighton, which is definitely a time I will remember! With my eyes set on the London IB market I looked for a place on the Brighton to London mainline and found heaven in mid-Sussex (Staplefield / Slaugham) only around 5 miles from a main commuter station (Haywards Heath). Whilst still contracting in Brighton, I'd drive down to Burgess Hill (lord knows why) and jump on the train into Brighton. Felt like being on holiday. Unfortunately when that gig ended and I got something in London, it was a rude awakening. The dreaded Haywards Heath to London Bridge/Victoria commute. There's a few things around Gatwick/Horsham and down in Brighton but nothing like the numbers or rates that were London. I dread to think what that HH to London commute is like now. Not done that since 2010 when the only way of getting a seat was buying a 1st class ticket. I'm reliably informed that is no longer a guarantee.
                  The trains have really gone downhill since then (long before the strikes started, contrary to what you might have read). Usually a 12 carriage train goes along coastway west (Littlehampton to Hove) to London Bridge then ten minutes later another to Victoria but the other morning one for cancelled an replaced by one eight carriage train.

Certainly doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's not your fault.

Can you use going permie to move into another discipline?
                    Could probably go more into automation (although I think it is a prime candidate to be offshored) or move into management.

Comment

Could probably go more into automation (although I think it is a prime candidate to be offshored) or move into management.
                      Go into management so you will be managing those off-shore.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X