• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
    I work in Insurance and very much a market upturn recently, at all levels of experience.
    Insurance sector is an anomaly though (due to Brexit they have an urgent need to make certain changes) its not FS sector either!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Insurance sector is an anomaly though (due to Brexit they have an urgent need to make certain changes)
      Not really. Whilst I spent the last 12 months on a Brexit programme, it is a negligible contribution to overall Insurance market temp resource requirements, and has all but concluded now.

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Insurance sector is not FS sector either!
      I'll concede that
      Last edited by kryten22uk; 2 May 2019, 15:22.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadPanda View Post
        Interesting ... what industry and what type of role? Ie Banking/Insurance, PM / BA. VS automotive full stack dev/engineering niche? Very different.
        no particular vertical.
        Steel / IT / service / utilities

role : solution architect, focussed on cloud migrations
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'm also seeing a bull market in my current industry (asset management - London). The client has sent an email explicitly stating all head count freezes have been lifted and to hire at will. The person who showed me this email said it's an unheard of situation!
          General BAs (non-technical) offered £700 p.d.
          Of the 8 contractors I started with 4 were complete newbs. I can't help but think their foray into this murky world may be short-lived!
          Pushing the internal recruiter she mentioned programmes of work have been bought forward to ensure adequate temporary resource ahead of the potential changes HMRC are plotting next year.

Comment

In the words of the great philosopher Jimmy Greaves it is a funny old game at the moment. Not seeing much come through on Jobserve but the few things I am applying for have largely led to phone calls and/or interviews.

Things are a bit stop start at the moment due to the run of Bank Holidays anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              And, are you going to tell us where you are...?
              Sorry, I didn't see this.

We are based in Romsey, trying to find Java developers is a nightmare.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

Increase the rate, they will come.

Comment

There are plenty just down the road at IBM in Hursley. They don't pay the best rates so maybe look in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                    There are plenty just down the road at IBM in Hursley. They don't pay the best rates so maybe look in that direction.
                    We want perm rather than contract though. A lot of people seem to come South for IBM Hursley and find Romsey is little but too much further.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

We want perm rather than contract though. A lot of people seem to come South for IBM Hursley and find Romsey is little but too much further.
                      So widen the scope of the kind of developers you would consider and train them in Java and whatever other skills you are struggling to find locally.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X