• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now 3 months out I've finished slabbing the patio and the weather has changed. Looking for my next move. Lots of inside IR35 roles at poor rates, starting to sound good.

Unless...

Father Christmas | Seasonal Temporary Work - Gillingham - Great Grottos Ltd. - JobisJob United Kingdom

There COULD be a lot of competition, if other contractors are gentlemanly enough.

Comment

Training included.. Dressing up in a red suit with a false beard?
      ...its got disguised employment written all over it

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Training included.. Dressing up in a red suit with a false beard?
        ...its got disguised employment written all over it
        Would that be worse than undisguised unemployment?

Comment

I will say of all the agents I've spoken to over the last few months, only the one that's produced a contract is the one asking for references after winning the work.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            I will say of all the agents I've spoken to over the last few months, only the one that's produced a contract is the one asking for references after winning the work.
            I had someone try the references thing with me this morning. My response was that I'd provide references after an interview if the end client requests it. They also fished for the name of the client with whom I have a pending 2nd interview. Yes, please send in my competitors They really need to stop pulling this tulipe now we all realise what they're up to.
            Last edited by LadyPenelope; 25 September 2019, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
              I had someone try the references thing with me this morning. My response was that I'd provide references after an interview if the end client requests it. They also fished for the name of the client with whom I have a pending 2nd interview. Yes, please send in my competitors They really need to stop pulling this tulipe now we all realise what they're up to.
              when things like this happen do you guys keep it civil or do you lose it and tell them to f3ck off?

I have to admit I've lost it a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                when things like this happen do you guys keep it civil or do you lose it and tell them to f3ck off?

I have to admit I've lost it a few times.
                Ahahaha! Been tempted to but just about held it together in case they actually have anything at some future point.

I was surprised to receive a job description as although they had named the client I just assumed there was no role. (There was. But at a laughable rate.)

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                  So I've managed to secure a new contract & start tomorrow. Rate is a bit less than I wanted & travel will cost me an arm and a leg in the short term, but beggars can't be choosers at this point. Also got one more in the pipeline which I'm hopeful for as it's local, but I suppose this one will keep me out of trouble for a while! I'm happy
                  Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Verbal offers of a 3 month gig or a trip back into permiedom.

I know it's not received wisdom here but I am seriously considering going permie for a bit.

The 3 monther is local but an average rate and although the project continues after Christmas it's not clear the role will and I really don't fancy spending January looking for a new gig.

I see the spectre of private sector off payroll looming and I am tempted to jump - not the braveheart contractor mentality I know, but finding any contract at all has been a bastard this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      Verbal offers of a 3 month gig or a trip back into permiedom.

I know it's not received wisdom here but I am seriously considering going permie for a bit.

The 3 monther is local but an average rate and although the project continues after Christmas it's not clear the role will and I really don't fancy spending January looking for a new gig.

I see the spectre of private sector off payroll looming and I am tempted to jump - not the braveheart contractor mentality I know, but finding any contract at all has been a bastard this time.
                      I know people who went perm in January this year and others who did it 3 years ago (Cojak) for exactly that reason

I know that personally I can't stand fools so could never go permanent anywhere which is why I'm set on a particular path of becoming an ISV...
                      Last edited by eek; 26 September 2019, 07:43.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X