• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    These days, any coding tests I make sure I do at home, not with some numpty standing over.

They also get put onto github as coding examples for my company...
    When it becomes a buyer’s market I think clients feel they should do increasingly more outlandish things during the recruitment process because they can and it means they will find some sort of unicorn.

Just in my experience it never works out that way and very good people get put off because they have used the wrong version of Quality Center (or similar).

I got my current contract through a personal recommendation and wasn’t interviewed in a sector I have no experience in and am doing perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
      These days, any coding tests I make sure I do at home, not with some numpty standing over.

They also get put onto github as coding examples for my company...
      Yup I am enforcing that in the future. Ive had enough of them. I find them too stressful. Don’t think I have ever got a gig which had one as part of the process. (besides once when I did it from home)

Yet talk to any previous client and they will scream - hire this guy! Lol. If only people bothered with references in contracting lol.
      Last edited by dx4100; 18 October 2019, 07:51.

Comment

Are some agencies finally waking up to IR35?

In the last couple of days I've had about 5-6 posts appear on LinkedIn from agencies I know who are running IR35 information sessions this week. Some are aimed at end clients, some at contractors.

I had dealings with several large agencies in the Spring who had already done a lot of prep.

Not sure why there is a sudden burst of activity but I can't help thinking that if so many clients haven't already made significant preparations by now, it's practically too late and going to be a car crash come the new year? In a lot of organisations, updating HR policies including hiring can take ages...

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          Yet talk to any previous client and they will scream - hire this guy! Lol. If only people bothered with references in contracting lol.
          Maybe there should be a CheckATrade type service accreditation process for contractors where client feedback is used as an anonymous reference to agents for roles that require some proof of skills competency check.

So contractors only need vetting once and a history of service is built up but the clients remain confidential to the agent as they don't actually need to know specifics other than what role or piece of work was completed.

Then any interviews can just be a discussion as the client already accepts the contractor has the right skills.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I have tried to simulate that with LinkedIn recommendations. I have one from every client I have ever contracted with and some perms further back.

Seems to go unnoticed or little value added to it, even though I have them on my CV as well lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Maybe there should be a CheckATrade type service accreditation process for contractors where client feedback is used as an anonymous reference to agents for roles that require some proof of skills competency check.

So contractors only need vetting once and a history of service is built up but the clients remain confidential to the agent as they don't actually need to know specifics other than what role or piece of work was completed.

Then any interviews can just be a discussion as the client already accepts the contractor has the right skills.
              A company did that for a while, went bust as agency’s like Charging clients a premium for doing it for them

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Not sure I could support such a service as I dread to think what some of my clients would say about me...
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

State of the Market

Few beers tonight with my estate agent friend, he says worse market in living memory (Canary Wharf area) they are trying to offload properties (1 bedroom flats for £1million) at One Park Drive they purchased off plan a year ago for £1.2millon

My heart was bleeding

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Few beers tonight with my estate agent friend, he says worse market in living memory (Canary Wharf area) they are trying to offload properties (1 bedroom flats for £1million) at One Park Drive they purchased off plan a year ago for £1.2millon

My heart was bleeding

Tough times, it’s a race.to the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Not sure I could support such a service as I dread to think what some of my clients would say about me...

The idea was more like the construction/craft based guilds where membership means you are of a suitable quality and professionalism, so no need for individual client references and feedback as this is received and handled by the guild and all the client/agency needs know is that the guild backs the contractor with assurance by way of their vetting and monitoring process, and insurance as a way of backing up their reputation for a honest service.

Though as mentioned it would need agency buy in and agents operating to wide boy principles wouldn't want any restrictions on their ability to do their role badly and dishonestly.

I suppose the BCS (British Computer Society) is the nearest we have but not sure they go far enough in regular vetting of individuals to ensure they maintain a desired standard. Never been a member so not sure what they do these days.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X