• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I know it's hard work and not something you may be able to do, but you can either fret for 6 weeks or accept it and enjoy a stress free Christmas.

Now I'm not saying don't look but have zero expectations when you look and don't waste much time on it. Spend 10 minutes at lunchtime and then call it quits.
    This^

Work to live (and all that.)
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Got in contact with an agency today that has got me three previous well paid gigs and spoke to one of their agents that placed me in my last role. He was quite candid, saying that there is nothing in the pipeline at the moment and the last one or two weeks are showing signs of the start of the xmas slow down. I've actually had quite a bit of success in the past in getting gigs/interviews in December so still keeping fingers crossed.

I think I'll give it another 10 days or so then will start thinking about xmas and pick up job hunting in the new year.

Anyone else feel the same?
      Last edited by edison; 27 November 2019, 10:42.

Comment

I know it's hard work and not something you may be able to do, but you can either fret for 6 weeks or accept it and enjoy a stress free Christmas.

Now I'm not saying don't look but have zero expectations when you look and don't waste much time on it. Spend 10 minutes at lunchtime and then call it quits.
        Thats a good call. I have been looking since August, whilst still in a contract, and have had nothing. Contract coming to an end soon, so after the 1st week of Dec. I'm going to knock it on the head and just chill for XMAS, book a training course for Jan and see what the new year brings.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          Got in contact with an agency today that has got me three previous well paid gigs and spoke to one of their agents that placed me in my last role. He was quite candid, saying that there is nothing in the pipeline at the moment and the last one or two weeks are showing signs of the start of the xmas slow down. I've actually had quite a bit of success in the past in getting gigs/interviews in December so still keeping fingers crossed.

I think I'll give it another 10 days or so then will start thinking about xmas and pick up job hunting in the new year.

Anyone else feel the same?
          Agreed.....

The market is the worst I have seen for a long time, and it's been bad for years....

Comment

Currently hunting around looking for roles whilst still in contract which is coming to an end. Market seems very strange at the moment; infrastructure does have projects on and doing but I think clients are for the vast majority, desperately trying to work out their position with contractors come April 2020. This (I believe) has lead to what I am dubbing London Bus syndrome: Quiet for a few days, then all of a sudden 8-10 roles come along at once.

I've had 7-8 CV submissions over the past couple of weeks so I am fairly confident that eventually I'll get an interview just by playing the numbers game. That said, I am not being fussy location wise and marketing myself over most of the UK.. Gotta go where the money is right?

I have to admit, outside of London does seem to have way worse an outlook than everywhere else.

Comment

I went for a Niche role a few weeks ago. First interview, I got told I had impressed them. Second Interview, I got told I had impressed them and I was the preferred Candidate however they couldn't make an offer as they had to go through with first round interviews they had booked in. I got told I would hear yesterday and heard nothing.

I am waiting for the budget pulled/IR35/Other Candidate (If I ever hear back.)

Comment

Things are so quiet on the contract market that I have started applying for permie roles. Not having applied for anything permie in 15 years, I forgot how slooooooow things are. I'll have a telephone interview and everything goes well, the radio silence for two weeks. Just when I think I've been ghosted, I'll hear back 3 weeks later. My CV has been sent out plenty for roles that are a perfect match, but nothing is happening.

Comment

Most recruitment companies wind down and stop working around the 20th until the new year. I built a ATS for a recruitment company and everyone was on enforced holidays from Christmas to New Year.

Comment

I applied for a role on Monday, followed it up with a call on Tuesday:

Me: I'm calling about the contract I applied for
                    Pimp: Ooh, just let me find your cv
                    Pimp: Yes, we're just waiting to hear back from the hiring manager... blah, blah, blah
                    Pimp: White noise...

Now looking at world cruises in the new year, 120 nights for £6,500... tempting!

Comment

I'm surprised we're not seeing Agency Black Friday deals!

Its about the only sector that hasn't jumped on the bandwagon by labelling something they're already doing as Black Friday.

Comment

Working...
                      X