• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could go on a cruise rent my place out via Airbnb and it’s a free holiday

After 120 days the market must have picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Just landed a new contract........but im still in one

SAP market seems a bit patchy. Some people are finding it hard to find something. Finance seems to be ok so long as you know S4Hana.

Been in a long term gig for 21 months - was due to finish 8th MArch. No extension as that would hit the 24 month rule for expenses and its the opposite end of the country to where I live. Added, the client would most likely (and dare I say rightly) assess this as inside. If its outside its very borderline.

Just got a determined outside gig going to end of May which is 30 minutes from my house. Same money. S4 Hana prject so will solidify the S4 experience I have already.

Goes until end of May so an extra three months and no M5/M6 slog over the winter. Its a no brainer.

Got a difficult conversation with the client coming up where I will be invoking my notice.

Comment

I just landed a new contract determined outside by the client.
        Commute is 90-100 mins each way but client is OK with me remote working quite a bit. Day rate is better than ever too
        Its only 3 months and unlikely to extend, but alas its got my bum off the bench after being out for a few months now.

Has taken almost a month from applying to getting an offer. It really has been slow going. Before this I had another offer that fell through due to budget sign offs, and several interviews that went cold or were even cancelled before hand. Like a lot of others on here I also had quiet weeks with nothing to apply for or no calls.

Comment

Comment

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
              SAP market seems a bit patchy. Some people are finding it hard to find something. Finance seems to be ok so long as you know S4Hana.

Been in a long term gig for 21 months - was due to finish 8th MArch. No extension as that would hit the 24 month rule for expenses and its the opposite end of the country to where I live. Added, the client would most likely (and dare I say rightly) assess this as inside. If its outside its very borderline.

Just got a determined outside gig going to end of May which is 30 minutes from my house. Same money. S4 Hana prject so will solidify the S4 experience I have already.

Goes until end of May so an extra three months and no M5/M6 slog over the winter. Its a no brainer.

Got a difficult conversation with the client coming up where I will be invoking my notice.
              In a difficult market where jobs are few and far between, dont dismiss an extension just because it goes over 24 months and travel expenses stop. Always remember 65%+ of something is a lot better than 100% of nothing.

Even if a roll is determined as inside IR35, some income is better than nothing.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                In a difficult market where jobs are few and far between, dont dismiss an extension just because it goes over 24 months and travel expenses stop. Always remember 65%+ of something is a lot better than 100% of nothing.

Even if a roll is determined as inside IR35, some income is better than nothing.
                Normally I would not. But combined with the fact the client will determine the role inside and I'd have been there for nearly two years operating outside, I would not be taking any extension for that reason.

Comment

Normally I would not. But combined with the fact the client will determine the role inside and I'd have been there for nearly two years operating outside, I would not be taking any extension for that reason.
                  The Revenue have specifically said they wouldn't hold that against you.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    The Revenue have specifically said they wouldn't hold that against you.
                    They've said a few things in recent years
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

And there is no need to really. I think people being so precious about the gig they are in is a mistake and they are not thinking forward. There are going to be many many gigs released once travelling contractors or people not willing to shoulder the risk of a long history leave their gigs. They'll need filling by someone. If you are happy to go inside then why not do it at another gig. It's a change, risk is reduced and you continue to do what contractors do and work with many difference clients over their career.

In some cases people may have no choice to go inside (lack of local gigs, restrictions on travel etc) but I do think many of the people on here and that have spoken to that are going to just switch are exactly what HMRC are after and being so precious about their gigs proves HMRC were right.

Gig doesn't work for you, move on, just like a contractor does. I believe there will be a lot of work available out there in the months up to April and shortly after.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X