• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ittony View Post
    Sounds better than my current strategy of; only look at jobs where I know 95% of the specs, spend three days learning the remaining 5% before applying, then never even get a reply.
    In a bear market it is very much a case of 'don't call us we will call you'. On the plus side the data analytics are significantly better now than they were even 2 years ago and they will only get better from here.

From what I have seen in the past 12 months, yes the bob shells will call you for a job you don't want but if you are a fit for something, you will be found by agents.

If you are not getting calls and you want calls, just give yourself a quick CV review, profile review and make sure your Indeed, Jobserve, Linked-In etc. reflect this as the AI/Big Data cometh.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      Do you think this trend will continue with jobs if Scottish independence does come into fruition?

(Some us might contemplate emmigrating to the "Scottish Riveria" if the global climate change / weird weather continues for the next couple of decades. Going north instead down to the Spain or Southern France.)
      Not too sure on that what will happen post independence (though I think that's unlikely to happen). When I was searching a few weeks ago I've had 5 different contracts opportunities presented to me (mix of public/private sector) needing DevOps/Full Stack devs with cloud knowledge (AWS/Azure). Full time was pretty much packed too but opted to find contract while I can, two were outside and rest inside with a day rate between £475 to £550. Applied to the outside ones and got an offer that I went forward with.

I don't think you can go wrong right now with DevOps (CI/CD/Cloud/Automation) and Full Stack dev knowledge, market seems to be really short on those.

Comment

Originally posted by darsa View Post
        Not too sure on that what will happen post independence (though I think that's unlikely to happen). When I was searching a few weeks ago I've had 5 different contracts opportunities presented to me (mix of public/private sector) needing DevOps/Full Stack devs with cloud knowledge (AWS/Azure). Full time was pretty much packed too but opted to find contract while I can, two were outside and rest inside with a day rate between £475 to £550. Applied to the outside ones and got an offer that I went forward with.

I don't think you can go wrong right now with DevOps (CI/CD/Cloud/Automation) and Full Stack dev knowledge, market seems to be really short on those.
        There is definitely some localism going on, my linkedin stream often have agents trying to punt multiple devops guys currently on the bench. Anecdotally I know of one very good devops chap also benched.

Quite a few in my neck of the woods have made the trip up to Edinburgh over the past 6-12 months so the market is holding up in Scotland seemingly better than elsewhere, I wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
          Sounds better than my current strategy of; only look at jobs where I know 95% of the specs, spend three days learning the remaining 5% before applying, then never even get a reply.
          Based on that, someone could learn your job in 57 days

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
            .. if you are a fit for something, you will be found by agents.
            I have had my first such experience on LinkedIn. My CV is off the boards at the moment and I've been experimenting with LinkedIn to see what bait works. Using skills similar to those you mentioned has garnered some interest. However, the role in question seems not to be live (found old ads) so I suspect the recruiter is trying to load their deck for the new year when all will be well after the election ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by darsa View Post

That's what I see. And Python being a major part of all that automation.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                as a hiring manager, I'd consider a senior without Azure wanting a 12 month project to gain Azure as well as a junior person who has some Azure.
                Great! Should I PM you? When should I start?

Seriously though, you are right. For data warehousing, it's either go down the route of data pipelines using Python and AWS based tools, or Azure.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  Great! Should I PM you? When should I start?

Seriously though, you are right. For data warehousing, it's either go down the route of data pipelines using Python and AWS based tools, or Azure.
                  Or grit it out with on prem.

This is the new danger that the BI industry faces though - agents not appreciating cloud transition properly. Ho hum.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    That's what I see. And Python being a major part of all that automation.
                    £35k-80k devops perm roles = hundreds, maybe thousands of roles. One well known agent had two dozen live roles in the £25-45k range for a single end-client.

devops contract market = the jury is out.

One well known agency circulated a word document two weeks ago with a list of a dozen benched devops contract candidates.

And yeah, we all see the adverts on Jobslut but i am not sure how many of them are real.

On the other hand, Python with R skills and able to manipulate data subsets within a lake means you can get a lottery ticket to the front office bonus pool and don't need to post on here anymore with us peasants as £35k will be your monthly take-home.
                    Last edited by Bluenose; 4 December 2019, 13:46.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Or grit it out with on prem.

This is the new danger that the BI industry faces though - agents not appreciating cloud transition properly. Ho hum.
                      I congratulated a recruitment consultant today for sitting and passing the basic Dynamics 365 fundamentals exam.

It was nice to see him learning enough about the skillset required to be able to identify the tulippers.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X