• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I've worked with "Data Scientists" whose job was to take database dumps given to them in CSV format and produce pivot tables for management to play with. I they were really lucky, they were asked to create a Powerpoint Pack highlighting key findings!

Job titles are pretty much meaningless.
    Absolutely; I'd have Cockwomble-in-Chief on my business card for an extra £20k p.a.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Absolutely; I'd have Cockwomble-in-Chief on my business card for an extra £20k p.a.
      As a contractor, you can do both of those things!

(but might not want to do one of them for tax efficiency reasons)

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        I have been toying with the idea of getting into data science as there is some overlap with my skillset but the route does not look easy. A few years ago it was PhD only but there have been a raft of MSc courses open up (some remote online) and thought about giving it a go.

However there will literally be hundreds if not thousands of Data Science graduates coming out of uni in the next year or two and I am not sure if the roles are there for them.

If you like stats and programming you will love Data Science however I have sat with guys doing practical data science and personally it is something I found a little bit boring.
        Most of them will end up not learning computer programming and end up earning near minimum wage on some sort of NHS/public sector related gambit.

You don't need a PHD but if you know a bit of programming, good Python and a bit of Spark/R then you can get in.

How many people were in front-office in the 90s and 00's that were there because they could work Excel and knew the financial products/instruments? If you don't know the answer it is fine but the answer is: hundreds of them.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Quite often it's we will call you a Data Scientist in lieu of the pay rise.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How about Data Engineer? That seems to be very popular as well. AFAIK, the data engineer would be the person who runs the pipeline to get the data in the database and wouldn't be doing the statistical analysis on the data.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              How about Data Engineer? That seems to be very popular as well. AFAIK, the data engineer would be the person who runs the pipeline to get the data in the database and wouldn't be doing the statistical analysis on the data.
              Subbed for responses to this.

I am planning on branching out my skills to encompass Data Engineering next year.

Comment

New job released, no PSL

I got 14 calls from different recruitment agencies for the same job. I think we are now is the slow zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Age quod agis View Post
                  I got 14 calls from different recruitment agencies for the same job. I think we are now is the slow zone.
                  Tell me about it, the last few days have been completely dead. I can't remember if I've ever been on the bench over Christmas before, if it stays like this it's going to be tough.

Comment

Tell me about it, the last few days have been completely dead. I can't remember if I've ever been on the bench over Christmas before, if it stays like this it's going to be tough.
                    Let me repeat my advice from a fortnight ago

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I know it's hard work and not something you may be able to do, but you can either fret for 6 weeks or accept it and enjoy a stress free Christmas.

Now I'm not saying don't look but have zero expectations when you look and don't waste much time on it. Spend 10 minutes at lunchtime and then call it quits.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have, and twice got a contract in the first week of January. Enjoy your holiday
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X