• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I have, and twice got a contract in the first week of January. Enjoy your holiday
    I think, statistically, my mode month for landing a new role is either December or August - both months that are traditionally expected to be dead.

Current role finishes at the end of Jan and the market will probably be dead despite people saying things will pick up once Brexit is done.

Comment

I have, and twice got a contract in the first week of January. Enjoy your holiday
      Me too! I can count at least four times I've started a contract in January. One I interviewed on Christmas Eve & started straight after new year :-)
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I like having a nice break over Christmas. This year it's working out perfectly with my contract finishing the Friday before Christmas week and a new contract due to start on the first week in January.

Although, from next year, depending on how my situation will be, I might even take a full month off (say mid-December to mid-January). Fingers crossed I bill enough and can afford it

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Let me repeat my advice from a fortnight ago
          Thanks man, when I first read that advice I ignored it, thinking it was for losers and I'd never give up striving all day. Now I'm starting to come around since there's literally nothing on the job boards.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            How about Data Engineer? That seems to be very popular as well. AFAIK, the data engineer would be the person who runs the pipeline to get the data in the database and wouldn't be doing the statistical analysis on the data.
            Does seem an odd one. Almost like a trainee BI developer who you can't leave unsupervised with SSIS, let alone Ab Initio.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              Don't know about that. I've heard/read so many stories. For example one saying Scotland would be able to cut the queue for reasons I don't remember. Wtf know what's ever going to happen.
              There is no queue to join the EU. If you meet the criteria you get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                There is no queue to join the EU. If you meet the criteria you get in.
                Not quite - if you meet the criteria and ALL member states accept you as a potential member then you are in.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post
                  I think, statistically, my mode month for landing a new role is either December or August - both months that are traditionally expected to be dead.

Current role finishes at the end of Jan and the market will probably be dead despite people saying things will pick up once Brexit is done.
                  I'm similar, 80% of my contracts have been found in July or December.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post
                    An old comment I've thought of around this time of year (or a few other, times of year)

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    January - clients don't hire because they are recovering from Christmas
                    February - clients don't hire because they take time off for skiing in half term and then a week either telling their colleagues about it or in hospital
                    March - clients don't hire because they are waiting for the new tax year
                    April - clients don't hire because they haven't got all the budget they wanted
                    May - clients don't hire because they are off for half term and then spend a week talking about it.
                    June - clients don't hire because they are planning summer holidays
                    July - clients don't hire because they are winding down for the summer holidays
                    August - clients don't hire because they are on holiday
                    September - clients don't hire because they are thinking back to their holidays
                    October - clients don't hire because they are on half-term holidays and then bragging about them
                    November - clients don't hire because they are planning Christmas parties and holidays
                    December - clients don't hire because they are partying and then on holiday

Pick your time for looking for a new contract carefully.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

An old comment I've thought of around this time of year (or a few other, times of year)
                      Like this!

But I think its fair to say that December and August are the months most of us tend to be lean pickings.

Comment

Working...
                      X