• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now the election is out of the way, the clarity on Brexit that was so badly needed is now here. Businesses can finally invest in those projects that were on hold for so much of this year.

Sure we still have 2020 Off-Payroll / IR35 implementation in the Private sector going on, but aside from that hopefully better times are ahead for contractors!
    Last edited by CheeseSlice; 13 December 2019, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      2000 a penny if my agent is to belived as that’s the average response per role

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Ha really?- difficult to know if thats serious in this market

I read an agent replied 600 responses to one role in another thread

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Now the election is out of the way, the clarity on Brexit that was so badly needed is now here. Businesses can finally invest in those projects that were on hold for so much of this year.

Sure we still have 2020 Off-Payroll / IR35 implementation in the Private sector going on, but aside from that hopefully better times are ahead for contractors!
        I talked to an agent with a role for the first time in days this morning. I, for one, welcome our new Tory overlords.

Comment

Indeed, just got a call from an agent to say the role I interviewed for last week in London has been moved to Amsterdam due to election result

Winner winner chicken dinner

Can’t wait for all the jobs flood into JobServe now

Zzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
            Ha really?- difficult to know if thats serious in this market

I read an agent replied 600 responses to one role in another thread
            600 hundred per agent - 4 different agents

Comment

No its not - we've still no idea on the kind of Brexit we're going to get. Nothing has really changed, other than its now confirmed that Corbyn has effectively killed the Labour Party.

Comment

Despite what the Tories have been selling you (and I'm no Corbynite), there will not be clarity on Brexit until a trade deal with the EU is signed - and that's years away.
                We are still at the foothill of the mountain, as a lot of people are about to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
                  Despite what the Tories have been selling you (and I'm no Corbynite), there will not be clarity on Brexit until a trade deal with the EU is signed - and that's years away.
                  We are still at the foothill of the mountain, as a lot of people are about to find out.
                  I hear you there, but we couldn't even see which way the compass was pointing until now.
                  The detail definitely needs to be sorted out, but the direction has now been set. The main blocks are already known and will be put in place, and then the rest will follow as slow and as painfully as that may be. The markets and the pound have reacted well to the result anyway. Boards and CFOs will hopefully share the same optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's remarkable how few companies understand that today's employee / vendor / customer is tomorrow's vendor / customer / employee and how you treat them in one way impacts how they treat you in the future.
                    So true.

I've had some pretty useless recent experiences with three well known big recruiting firms when I asked for a bit of help with some introductions to suitable people to discuss potential interim or perm roles for myself. I've had significant dealings with these firms for hiring staff so they have made a lot of money through my custom.

I won't be rushing to look at them again next time I have a hiring campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
                      No, it isn't years away. It has been made very clear what's going to happen, and with the high majority that the Tories have, it will be a certainty that things will get done.

We leave on January 31st with a withdrawal deal, that was always going to be the case. Whether Boris or others amend this to be more of a Canada syle deal or not, we know it's either going to that or his original deal.

The deadline has been set to negotiate the trade deal with the EU, if nothing is agreed by the end of 2020, then it's no-deal.

There is no gloom and doom or complete uncercainty, it could not be any clearer and that's why the financial markets like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X