• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Hahahahahaha.

You’ve made the mistake of believing the Johnson lies. We’ll leave in January. That’s the only bit that’s clear.
    The rest is wild speculation.
    We will see ...

Brexit bill to block further delay to transition - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
      Yep Boris is a stupid idiot. He gets control of the gun and then immediately shuts himself in the leg..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Persistence pays off - new contract

Two weeks ago I started to individually contact 200 connections via LinkedIn about a bit of research I've been doing. About 30 of those were recruiters who I casually mentioned to that it would be good to catch up in the new year.

As a direct result, I got one contract offer after a 20 minute chat with an-ex colleague from many years ago; an interview for a perm role from a recruiter which I'm now waiting to hear if I got to the 3rd interview and an associate consulting opportunity.

Clearly all that networking paid off.

I've also seen almost everyone I know who's been long term benched find a perm role in the last 2-3 weeks.

Don't know if this is the sign of a little upwards blip in the market before xmas but it's been very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          Two weeks ago I started to individually contact 200 connections via LinkedIn about a bit of research I've been doing. About 30 of those were recruiters who I casually mentioned to that it would be good to catch up in the new year.

As a direct result, I got one contract offer after a 20 minute chat with an-ex colleague from many years ago; an interview for a perm role from a recruiter which I'm now waiting to hear if I got to the 3rd interview and an associate consulting opportunity.

Clearly all that networking paid off.

I've also seen almost everyone I know who's been long term benched find a perm role in the last 2-3 weeks.

Don't know if this is the sign of a little upwards blip in the market before xmas but it's been very welcome.
          Its the Boris Boom.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            Its the Boris Boom.
            You joke, but I've had a very unusual day - a few calls, couple of e-mails and a LinkedIn message.

Don't get me wrong, only 2 are vaguely suitable and one of those is permie but not at all typical.

Comment

Not so sure, I recently saw a "job" ad that said "The role is unpaid as we are an early-stage startup, however, after working things out we can discuss equity and other terms that seem fit"

Also saw an Azure Architect position on jobserve today for £300 per day. I don't like this trend and I'm seeing more and more of it over time.

Comment

Boris Booming here too - just been extended right up to the eve of the IR35 changeover.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Congrats on the results of your actively reaching out but, while looking at others' input as well, is this now an all encompassing Permanent, Voluntary and 'Contracting' workers State of the Market thread?

Or just Contracting?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Congrats on the results of your actively reaching out but, while looking at others' input as well, is this now an all encompassing Permanent, Voluntary and 'Contracting' workers State of the Market thread?

Or just Contracting?
                    Well I’ve been a contractor for almost seven years...

I think reference to what’s happening in e.g. permanent recruitment is relevant given the wider context of recent events like Brexit and the election as it might give some insight into wider hiring trends.

Or you can just ignore it ?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Yep Boris is a stupid idiot. He gets control of the gun and then immediately shuts himself in the leg..
                      My week has not been fun at all.

Monday, I had a phone interview cancelled from a former bank ultimate client S, because I had worked with them 2 years ago.
                      I didn't read in the job specification anything like "previous applicants or contractors need not apply" words to that affect.
                      This first job was lucrative because it was happening in Central London. Rates are better in the big smoke.

Tuesday, I had an Indian agent call up about a different role at the same bank ultimate client S. It was INSIDE 35 due to new tax rules coming in April. The rate was already low in my provincial town/city. INSIDE 35 and PAYE would make it even less worthwhile. When I said no, I was interviewing for a big rates in Central London. He just wasn't having anything it. He begged me, "what is the lowest rate that you do it for?"

I had a second prospect, a media publisher, who had a good project. The agent sent the job spec about 10 days ago and it was tentative because this client was taking time to review CVs. Wednesday, the agent called me and said he client eventually pulled role due to budget reasons. FFS!

On Tuesday, I went down to London for a F2F interview for a third prospect. This prospect had work in London and occasionally trips to Guildford. This Thursday, morning, I found out that I lost out to another candidate. The agent does not know the feedback, but will try to track it down, he promised. FFS!!!

This is the true state of the market: multiple kicks in your b******ck (or f***y) for weeks.

I searching for my next new gig since the middle of October, whilst I had 1 month notice in my last gig. Concerning is just cutting a description this morning.
                      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 19 December 2019, 08:18. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
                      X