• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post
    The weather is the killer though. The older I get, the more gruelling the winters seem to get.

Will be off to sunnier climes as soon as its feasible.
    Amen to that. This cloudy weather is bad for the mental health. After certain age the body can not tolerate cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      Amen to that. This cloudy weather is bad for the mental health. After certain age the body can not tolerate cold weather.
      bolloks
      FFS
      where do these twats come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        Yes, that's very true. Add to that one of those nasty winter colds that goes to your chest and leaves you hacking your lungs up for weeks on end and life really does become abject misery.

Comment

Yes, that's very true. Add to that one of those nasty winter colds that goes to your chest and leaves you hacking your lungs up for weeks on end and life really does become abject misery.
          Well, I'm out in Southern Spain right now and I have one of those nasty winter colds to which you refer so climate is no guarantee of avoidance. Pretty cold today - 14 degrees and cloudy. Whilst it's true that the weather down here is generally fantastic, the reality is that in winter it can be uncomfortable. Houses here aren't designed to retain heat, quite the opposite, so I often find myself feeling cold whilst working from here. But I'd prefer it to being in the office. The missus and the dogs love it though!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Well, I'm out in Southern Spain right now and I have one of those nasty winter colds to which you refer so climate is no guarantee of avoidance. Pretty cold today - 14 degrees and cloudy. Whilst it's true that the weather down here is generally fantastic, the reality is that in winter it can be uncomfortable. Houses here aren't designed to retain heat, quite the opposite, so I often find myself feeling cold whilst working from here. But I'd prefer it to being in the office. The missus and the dogs love it though!
            I was in Alicante for NYE and it was nudging 20 degrees during the day. Cold at night but you can always fire up the chimenea;-)

It's not so much the cold I dislike. Quite like a crisp winter's day. It's the endless, miserable, drab cloudiness and persistent drizzle that seems to be the default winter weather here.

Comment

I was in Alicante for NYE and it was nudging 20 degrees during the day. Cold at night but you can always fire up the chimenea;-)

It's not so much the cold I dislike. Quite like a crisp winter's day. It's the endless, miserable, drab cloudiness and persistent drizzle that seems to be the default winter weather here.
              May I suggest,er, Northern California, USA. You can drive Lake Taheo, east of the state city of Sacremento 1 hour or so and a do some skiing up in the hilll and be comfortable back in the Bay Area, Mountview in about 48 hours round trip.

The only things you will need is a USA Visa worker, a roof over your head, and a murderous USD salary to boot; and be able to put with Mr. Orangehead down at 1600 Pennslyvania Avenue. If you want seasons then you'd have to travel to the US roads here and there.

Right then, This is the so-called "state of the market" thread. Well the fact we are descending into weather demonstrates it for me. Nothing for me on Jobserve this morning, a lot of unrealistic Python data science jobs insread. I'm starting to think of looking at perm roles, no joy since the middle of November, for software developer. This is a surreal week 8 without invoicing and billing. I'd starting to get concerned for 2020... what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                May I suggest,er, Northern California, USA. You can drive Lake Taheo, east of the state city of Sacremento 1 hour or so and a do some skiing up in the hilll and be comfortable back in the Bay Area, Mountview in about 48 hours round trip.

The only things you will need is a USA Visa worker, a roof over your head, and a murderous USD salary to boot; and be able to put with Mr. Orangehead down at 1600 Pennslyvania Avenue. If you want seasons then you'd have to travel to the US roads here and there.

Right then, This is the so-called "state of the market" thread. Well the fact we are descending into weather demonstrates it for me. Nothing for me on Jobserve this morning, a lot of unrealistic Python data science jobs insread. I'm starting to think of looking at perm roles, no joy since the middle of November, for software developer. This is a surreal week 8 without invoicing and billing. I'd starting to get concerned for 2020... what do you think?
                It's 8:30 on the first full business day of the year.

You should at least wait until Wednesday / Thursday before complaining.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                  I can be sunbathing on the beach in the morning and skiing in the Sierra Nevada near Granada in the afternoon (2 hours drive). It's a weird feeling sitting on the beach staring across the med and seeing snow-capped mountains. Trouble is, I don't ski.

Comment

I have noticed there do seem to be a lot of roles looking for cloud and data science. Which is odd because I have never seen a client that exists that uses either. I'm not saying they don't exist, but based on my experience of financial institutions they must have all gone cutting edge overnight, or the market is over representing what it thinks a market would look like if there were any real roles, and under representing reality.

Suity conclusion, check back later in January when the decision makers are back from their extended winter break and have sobered up a bit.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      I have noticed there do seem to be a lot of roles looking for cloud and data science. Which is odd because I have never seen a client that exists that uses either. I'm not saying they don't exist, but based on my experience of financial institutions they must have all gone cutting edge overnight, or the market is over representing what it thinks a market would look like if there were any real roles, and under representing reality.

Suity conclusion, check back later in January when the decision makers are back from their extended winter break and have sobered up a bit.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                      Last couple of clients throwing everything into the cloud.

Comment

Working...
                      X