• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nice to see how honourably you are - within two weeks of starting a contract you leave for a different one.
    Depending on the reasons.
    I've seen a guy being served the notice 2 weeks into the gig for coming in and leaving flexibly. Recently had a newborn.
    Manager was aware of it but still a precious c***.
    If he figured out the role was a snake pit and decided to move early on, I salute him. Hat off to you Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by technobabble View Post
      Not sure how others are finding it. I came back to the UK after 12 years away at the end of November, I struggled to make contacts and progress in the run up to Xmas, but nonetheless I started my first role 3rd Jan and now have a better role ready to start next week. As I haven't worked in the current tax year I am on PAYE which isn't too much of an issue.

I am planning to register my own company in the next week or so, and get VAT registered and so on ready so I can take work on through that in the new tax year. My long term plan is to build my own tech company and whilst I will need to do contracting work through it initially I don't plan to do any in the long term.

I am finding I am having calls every other day or so asking my availability, I feel that the market is pretty reasonable. Two job offers from two different agencies in two weeks seems good.
      What's your skillset?

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        What's your skillset?
        And probably more important rate . I doubt anybody would struggle to find 200 per day for AWS developer...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Nice to see how honourably you are - within two weeks of starting a contract you leave for a different one.
          While you might have reason for this comment, we don't know;

1. If his first role was for only two/three weeks
          2. If he was let go
          3. If notice periods were all observed and agreed
          4. If contractor and client parted on good terms

Either way, if clients can let us go while not observing contractual notice periods, and we are supposed to be all grown up about it, so too can it work the other way round.

Comment

Rolling average from last 5 working days is one call every day. 2019 rolling average across the week was 10 calls per day.

Keep grinding peeps, this is what needs
            to be done in a bear market.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

Keep grinding peeps, this is what needs
              to be done in a bear market.
              And what about the lions and tigers [emoji23]
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

10 calls per day - are you a Dev Ops engineer?

Id be lucky to get 10 calls a month as a Scrum Master.

In a contract at the moment -ending soon - but had circa 3 calls in 3 months

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
                  10 calls per day - are you a Dev Ops engineer?

Id be lucky to get 10 calls a month as a Scrum Master.

In a contract at the moment -ending soon - but had circa 3 calls in 3 months
                  Good luck fella, I know 4 super scum masters that have been out since June

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    Have a friend with the same skillset also benched. And his skills have been hot for a number of years.... market isn't great for a lot of the generic skillsets at the moment. DevOps, Big Data, Azure/AWS engineer seem to be fairing well by comparison.
                    Feels very emperors new clothes with devops/cloud. The whole point of devops to my mind was enabling teams to get their code into production without a bunch of barriers. How rebadging a bunch of sysops and calling them the devops team achieves this God only knows. Anyone in a team should be able to get their code into prod or an app deployed without hand holding or chucking it over to someone else.

Also the amount of cash disappearing over the Atlantic to Microsoft and Amazon for cloud is truly breathtaking, companies quickly loose track over their spend on these opaque subscription services. There will be a lot brought in house to private clouds in the future.
                    Last edited by PlanB; 16 January 2020, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                      Feels very emperors new clothes with devops/cloud. The whole point of devops to my mind was enabling teams to get their code into production without a bunch of barriers. How rebadging a bunch of sysops and calling them the devops team achieves this God only knows. Anyone in a team should be able to get their code into prod or an app deployed without hand holding or chucking it over to someone else.

Also the amount of cash disappearing over the Atlantic to Microsoft and Amazon for cloud is truly breathtaking, companies quickly loose track over their spend on these opaque subscription services. There will be a lot brought in house to private clouds in the future.
                      I used to feel like this until I learned CI pipelines. Now I'm a devops convert. There is a certain point of diminishing returns for smaller projects, but if you have a boilerplate CI pipeline for your tech stack you can do wonderful things very quickly.

Imagine getting a requirement at 9am and having it unit tested and running in a docker container before going for sandwiches. Lots of pain and pitfalls but when it works, it's stunning.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X