• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    If you go on Linkedin and check at their jobs, tescobank is hiring like crazy.
    They're getting shot of their mortgage book. Big migrations like that can eat up a lot of project staff. Having said that, if it takes say two years, once the migration is complete you don't need the project staff and you don't need all the day-to-day staff that previously ran the mortgages. Contractor territory, surely?
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      They're getting shot of their mortgage book. Big migrations like that can eat up a lot of project staff. Having said that, if it takes say two years, once the migration is complete you don't need the project staff and you don't need all the day-to-day staff that previously ran the mortgages. Contractor territory, surely?
      ooooh, let's hope so.. me rubbing my hands already.

fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
        But you should be 'good' anyway (if not brilliant) to become a contractor in the first place.
        I always believed to be a contractor you had to become a some sort of an expert in a field..

unless that's changed over the years such that any joe blogg can easily become a contractor without acquiring any good skill
        You've never worked on Canary Wharf then?

The one place with more BSers than Parliament.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Client procurement has in the last week determined that they won't be engaging PSC's and all contractors must be taxed via PAYE.

This despite two sponsors within client co being keen to offer a new contract, and are open to outcome based. So demand for my skill set remains, but sponsors being hamstrung by procurement decisions.

Skillset is agile coaching with several years experience. Seeing very few opportunities about for this role, let alone outside.

Current plan is to sit on the bench from March with the war chest I've built up, do some additional training courses, further develop my training offering and allow the dust to settle until some less myopic / forward thinking companies begin altering their approach to contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAsriel View Post
            Client procurement has in the last week determined that they won't be engaging PSC's and all contractors must be taxed via PAYE.

This despite two sponsors within client co being keen to offer a new contract, and are open to outcome based. So demand for my skill set remains, but sponsors being hamstrung by procurement decisions.

Skillset is agile coaching with several years experience. Seeing very few opportunities about for this role, let alone outside.

Current plan is to sit on the bench from March with the war chest I've built up, do some additional training courses, further develop my training offering and allow the dust to settle until some less myopic / forward thinking companies begin altering their approach to contracting.
            Anything generic seems to be taking a battering and I put my skill set in that bracket, be warned this could take a while to work it's way through the system (if it ever does).

I've gone permie and I'm working on my skills that way, should the market come good again. I sleep a lot easier knowing I'm not going to be frittering away the warchest if this turns out to be a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
              Not rubbish advice though I always have a few examples to refer to in memory to draw upon if interviewed or even in a more casual conversation with a client decision maker - it's all part of the sales pitch to convince the client that you are the person to make the challenge/problem(s) they have go away.

Majority of clients in my travels don't differentiate their interview questions for contractors/consultants and always ask the same scenario or experience based questions that they would for a permanent position. I also have a response for the why do you want to work for this company question.
              Here's a good one: What are you hoping to learn/how do you want to develop whilst working here? I always want to point out that it's not their responsibility to do that for a contractor, but I'll usually give the kind of answer they're hoping to hear.

Comment

I just got out of perm job (in November) and looking to get into contracting but for me market seems very poor. Been looking for month and bit but no joy. Used to get numerous calls before but now its died down.

Comment

Originally posted by checkmate View Post
                  I just got out of perm job (in November) and looking to get into contracting but for me market seems very poor. Been looking for month and bit but no joy. Used to get numerous calls before but now its died down.
                  Probably the worst time you could pick to go contracting since summer 2012 when everyone was busy with Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Its been dead for months/years

Comment

You have absolutely no idea how bad it really is. I've been on the bench 4 months despite 10 years contracting, 20 odd years in IT, considering inside/outside and can move anywhere in the country.

I am being told by recruiters that they are getting 100's of applicants per role, particularly outside ones. You've got every single contractor, both in contract and on the bench applying for the few outside roles at the moment. These are experienced contractors with many many years in the job so a new guy isn't going to get a sniff.

Sorry, there is no poor time. This is NOT the time for a newbie to be trying contracting. Period.

My honest opinion of course.. but based on a lot of facts and observations.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X