• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
    Took a perm job last week. I feel grubby, but needs must. It's all well and good standing my ground and holding out for an outside role but if a market that's otherwise booming has died on it's arse and I have a mortgage to pay, I'm out of options.
    i agree, unless you have a massive war chest built up & is willing to burn that chest to pay mortgage doing nothing whilst bench, i'd take something at least to get income if income is high on your priority list

Comment

Took a perm job last week. I feel grubby, but needs must. It's all well and good standing my ground and holding out for an outside role but if a market that's otherwise booming has died on it's arse and I have a mortgage to pay, I'm out of options.
      Well done on getting one! It's a good way to ride out the next year or more, get some free training in, and buy time while you decide what you want to do.

Just don't go native!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Well done on getting one! It's a good way to ride out the next year or more, get some free training in, and buy time while you decide what you want to do.

Just don't go native!
        Thanks! As far as perm jobs go it seems good.

Can I ask, sorry, what is native? As in sticking with perm and never returning?

Comment

Many folks seem to be going perm - this does reinforce the mantra that many were permitractors anyway.

The market will undergo a major re-alignment.

My only concern is that this alignment is not used by clients to undergo major offshoring efforts - that way everyone loses

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
            Many folks seem to be going perm - this does reinforce the mantra that many were permitractors anyway.
            Government would like you to think so, but I'd suggest the vast majority on this site who have gone perm have done so just to protect the warchest / pay the bills.

Comment

(of a person living away from their own country or region) abandon one's own culture, customs, or way of life and adopt those of the country or region one is living in.

It means, avoid learning/adopting permie mindset

Comment

Losing yourself in the permie ways and essentially losing the contractor mindset.

go native - Wiktionary

Comment

Paging @ladymuck: "Pandora - Business Analyst - Relocation to Copenhagen, DK"
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Ah OK, I understand 'native' now.

In response to contractors going perm being a sign that they were always permitractors anyway - this is well wide of the mark.

I've not traded as a 'permitractor' would at all. I've not just had full-time contracts, and on the full-time contracts I have taken I've been very careful in ensuring I'm engaging as a business. It's simply a case of this - it's all well and good standing your ground, as many business owners are, and rejecting inside and demanding clients see the light in protest. But for anybody who enjoys a nice home, decent car and a comfortable lifestyle there's a deadline.

I'm not willing to quickly destroy my warchest and make other sacrifices based on the faith I've lost in an industry that is quite clearly on it's arse.

I hope for everyone's sake clients start thinking a bit more sensibly, but (in keeping with the topic of this thread) the state of the market is not looking fantastic based on how the bigger players are reacting. Stakes are too high for me to bet on them sorting themselves out before I struggle to pay my mortgage.
                    Last edited by DevUK; 3 February 2020, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                      That looks too much like real work

Comment

Working...
                      X