• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    I agree some of the above but a lot of people never looked at diversifying or using their LTdCo as an opportunity to explore other revenue areas and now that market is changing / gone for good and have to revert back to PERM.

Being a contractor to me was always far more than using it for my main consulting job, it was an opportunity to look at entrepreneurship, learn new skills, take on sidelines and other additional contracts. For me some failed but others provide me with alternative revenue streams as you would expect any other company to do - not rely on a single client all of the time.

IMO far too may people only ever used their LTdCo as a PSC not as a consulting company in the wider sense.
    I have managed to land a contract woop woop. After 3 months on bench. Was close to going perm. Possibly have another and both are remote so if I can I will take both on. As a ltd and current market trends it's a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
      I'll never be able to go back to that mindset of your employer being your family. But many people view it that way and they appreciate everything their family does for them.
      I think it's personal.

For example, some contractors are more inclined to have that mindset even if they are indeed contractors.

I never had that mindset even when I was a permie. In a way I've always been a 'contractor in disguise'

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        I just can't stomach the whole "team bonding" stuff and falseness of it all . If I ever went perm it would have to be somewhere that would just leave me be. No idea how I get that across at an interview and still land the job
        In one of my permie jobs I was working in a team of 20+ people, but really liked 4 or 5. We'd sometimes go out for beers and that was fine, but every time there was one of those team building activities, I'd attend only the mandatory section and then would make up an excuse to not go to escape rooms/paintball/other rubbish. Worked out fine for my 2 years there.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
          I'll never be able to go back to that mindset of your employer being your family. But many people view it that way and they appreciate everything their family does for them.
          Same.
          Its an effective but insincere management trick to create loyalty.
          I worked as a permy at a company that promoted this idea and even used the word 'family' at company gatherings, meetings etc.
          That seemed great whilst I was young and a bit wet behind the ears, never been through a redundancy or lost a job. There was a lot of team bonding, team building away days, work seemed fun, we'd go the extra mile for our 'family'.
          Then recession kicked in and the management team had to start culling the workforce, making deep cuts and round after round of redundancies, including my job.
          That's when the penny dropped for me...

I'd never show that kind of loyalty to an employer again. In tough times they just wont stand by you like a family does.
          This is one of the main reasons I love contracting. No loyalty is given or expected, you want more you pay more, no BS, its just business.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Same.
            I worked as a permy at a company that promoted this idea and even used the word 'family' at company gatherings, meetings etc.
            Then recession kicked in and the management team had to start culling the workforce, making deep cuts and round after round of redundancies, including my job.
            Presumably, by that definition, they informed you they had to put you up for adoption...?

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
              I have managed to land a contract woop woop. After 3 months on bench. Was close to going perm. Possibly have another and both are remote so if I can I will take both on. As a ltd and current market trends it's a no brainer.
              Good news! Don't drop anything until you've been there for a while. Learned the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                Good news! Don't drop anything until you've been there for a while. Learned the hard way.
                Hah yeah wouldn't unless I was on the desk working

Comment

Public sector seems to be warming up for Dev work at the moment. I wonder if this is because projects have been canned for a few years as dev's would not go in side when they can stay outside in the private sector. Impending April changes level this playing field for rates and conditions.

I'm expecting upward pressure on resource demand as the public sector thawes out and big transformation projects kick off pending 'efficiency drives'.

Fill your inside boots, of that should be fill your slippers?
                  Last edited by BlueSharp; 6 February 2020, 18:33.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    Public sector seems to be warming up for Dev work at the moment. I wonder if this is because projects have been canned for a few years as dev's would not go in side when they can stay outside in the private sector. Impending April changes level this playing field for rates and conditions.
                    i doubt it, i've know places like the MOJ have been getting around the public sector IR35 by putting in-place a middleman with their contractors (consultancies etc).

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                      i doubt it, i've know places like the MOJ have been getting around the public sector IR35 by putting in-place a middleman with their contractors (consultancies etc).
                      but it will not be possible to get around the rules after march

Comment

Working...
                      X