• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    oh really? which banks are those?
    the wig ones

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      the wig ones

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
        oh really? which banks are those?
        Cant think of a major bank I’ve not worked for

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

QED

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Not so, no one wants a old grandad (over 35) in the team these days

Nonsense.

I've changed jobs both permanent and contract multiple times past that age, if anyone is that worried only list the past 10-15 years on your CV and remove dates from your qualifications, update linkedin accordingly. Make some effort to look younger helps as well, lose some weight, get some decent clothes and shave off the Gandalf beard.

The idea that IT is a young mans/womans game is ridiculous and stuck in the 80s when the industry was in it's infancy, my cohort have all aged and are all in work, mostly still cutting code. The country can not survive if we throw workers on the scrap heap after 15 years earning, the benefits and pensions bill would cripple us.

If you do feel genuinely discriminated against because of your age get the lawyers involved, it is exactly the same as discriminating against other races, genders and sexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
              Nonsense.

I've changed jobs both permanent and contract multiple times past that age, if anyone is that worried only list the past 10-15 years on your CV and remove dates from your qualifications, update linkedin accordingly. Make some effort to look younger helps as well, loose some weight, get some decent clothes and shave off the Gandalf beard.

The idea that IT is a young mans/womans game is ridiculous and stuck in the 80s when the industry was in it's infancy, my cohort have all aged and are all in work, mostly still cutting code. The country can not survive if we throw workers on the scrap heap after 15 years earning, the benefits and pensions bill would cripple us.

If you do feel genuinely discriminated against because of your age get the lawyers involved, it is exactly the same as discriminating against other races, genders and sexuality.
              I think there is a difference between those that can (code) and PM's who may be seen as awkward and not up to speed...

Remember as a coding contractor we probably learn something new every day, most PMs only do any training when their Prince 2 certificate expires...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                ……..., most PMs only do any training when their Prince 2 certificate expires...
                And some don't even do that.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  Why would anyone need prince ??

Bit like cobol

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Tell me about it! Unfortunately they are the ones who sit in the interview and make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      I’ve only been in banking for 20 years, last few years agile teams don’t won’t old git’s (35+)
                      I've never had any issues. Perhaps the problem is not your age....

Comment

Working...
                      X