• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Why would anyone need prince ??

Bit like cobol
    Are you from the school of thought that all we need is agile and scrum ?

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
      i agree. in a skilled professioned industry, these days jobsites are a platform for recruiters to pick up CVs (mainly from grads/juniors)
      As a senior, you're more likely stand a better chance of picking something up directly from recruiters from LinkedIn.
      But that means waiting for a recruiter to contact you through LinkedIn right?

I get maybe 1 message a fortnight through LinkedIn. and 90% of time not relevant.

Without applying on job boards what other way is there to find roles?

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post

I get maybe 1 message a fortnight through LinkedIn. and 90% of time not relevant.

What roles? Maybe something like rockinghorsepoop.co.uk?

Can't help but think if you don't know this then you are going to well towards the back of the very well connected experienced contractors that are already all over the few roles there are out there.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          Are you from the school of thought that all we need is agile and scrum ?
          In my 20+ years as a PM for several different retail and investment banks none used more the 5% of prince framework - most just made it up

Agile is great if you want to write 10 lines of code each week into production with a team of 10 bods

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post

I must admit I never get messages through LinkedIn, excepting the recruiters through whom I have not worked wishing to hook up.

I daresay many people have had many successes through LinkedIn but, at least in times past, my roles have come through a network that have contact details not dependent on social media, or, as you say, Jobserve (for me).

Comment

Agile is great if you want to write 10 lines of code each week into production with a team of 10 bods
              It's sad you get this view of the world from a bunch of programmers updating bits of software. Project managers have to select packages, train people, move offices, set up, configure and test infrastructure in multiple locations, get business objectives and designs agreed, stress test, prepare and agree written and displayed customer documents, amend interfaces to all sorts of connected services like card acquirers, credit scorers etc, arrange for fall-back facilities, account cleansing, manual clean-up, liaison with regulatory authorities, hunt all over a number of geographical and functional locations to get clarification on technical and business rules and definitions etc etc etc. Moving a mortgage book might take over two hundred people over two years to complete. Agile and scrum is only a small portion of something like that.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

In my 20+ years as a PM for several different retail and investment banks none used more the 5% of prince framework - most just made it up
                That was kind of the point of prince though wasn't it - make use of the the bits that give you value. I only ever found value in 5% of it as well.
                Last edited by dx4100; 12 February 2020, 13:05.

Comment

ok... That is obviously a unhealthful and untrue statement, but I reckon you realise that.
                  Last edited by dx4100; 12 February 2020, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    It's sad you get this view of the world from a bunch of programmers updating bits of software. Project managers have to select packages, train people, move offices, set up, configure and test infrastructure in multiple locations, get business objectives and designs agreed, stress test, prepare and agree written and displayed customer documents, amend interfaces to all sorts of connected services like card acquirers, credit scorers etc, arrange for fall-back facilities, account cleansing, manual clean-up, liaison with regulatory authorities, hunt all over a number of geographical and functional locations to get clarification on technical and business rules and definitions etc etc etc. Moving a mortgage book might take over two hundred people over two years to complete. Agile and scrum is only a small portion of something like that.
                    And programmers see PM as the guy who signs the timesheets and has no other value

Comment

Agile but most especially Scrum are terrible, at least in the way it his been adopted by most of industry. It is a form a micro management that leads to some very bad behaviours. This is about a 20 min read but a very good critique of it's failings.

https://michaelochurch.wordpress.com...-are-terrible/

Comment

Working...
                      X