• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    That's funny, as the role I'm doing just now is pretty much the Scrum Master/Tech Lead BigDataPro describes
    If you can do all of that well, fair play to you.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
      Madness, they are looking for an entire dev team in one person. I've done tech lead roles, but draw the line at running the Scrums, mainly as it is something I have zero interest in.

I'm something of a generalist and can code, deploy and lead but don't kid myself I'm an expert in anything but the first one.

They will quite possibly hire a complete BS artist.
      Expert means, better than the interviewer. Learn some marketing bru!

Comment

That's funny, as the role I'm doing just now is pretty much the Scrum Master/Tech Lead BigDataPro describes
        <cough>

Comment

Madness, they are looking for an entire dev team in one person. I've done tech lead roles, but draw the line at running the Scrums, mainly as it is something I have zero interest in.

I'm something of a generalist and can code, deploy and lead but don't kid myself I'm an expert in anything but the first one.

Infosys will sort it out soon, providing clients with a "jack of all trades" bob, whom they will pay £25,600 per annum.

Comment

It is not the market for Generalists at all.

I managed to get a contract as a BA in a very niche and in demand sector within Investments. I am fielding around 2-3 calls a week asking if I am available to go for another role along with the rates going up.

This market is going to get tougher after IR35 lands however I truly believe there is a correction going on where the true Outside IR35 contractors will prevail.

Comment

That's interesting. You can be proud that you are producing more value for the client's money that they will think twice before going for a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                Infosys will sort it out soon, providing clients with a "jack of all trades" bob, whom they will pay £25,600 per annum.
                and they also get paid back at home in INR as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  <cough>

Shot's fired!

I will maintain that, just like C++/Java front-office work 10 years ago, Devops/Python will be bobbed out, its just whether you think that will be 'soon' or not.

I advise on things like this, businesses won't pay £700/pd for devops engineers in the long-run, they will either bob it out or switch to simpler to implement and maintain cloud technologies, as they appear.
                  Last edited by Bluenose; 14 February 2020, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                    Shot's fired!

I will maintain that, just like C++/Java front-office work 10 years ago, Devops/Python will be bobbed out, its just whether you think that will be 'soon' or not.

I advise on things like this, businesses won't pay £700/pd for devops engineers in the long-run, they will either bob it out or switch to simpler to implement and maintain cloud technologies, as they appear.
                    I can't think of anything that won't get bobbed eventually, even extremely technical stuff like data science, there is a production line of statistics Phds all the way back to Beijing and Delhi.

As far as devops is concerned I am surprised that companies are willing to pay so much for engineers who know how to put a kubernetes cluster together efficiently when most of the time a simple cloud native solution would have done.

Any developer worth their salt should be able to get an app onto a PaaS and the whole devops role becomes redundant.

I'm also amazed at the amount companies are willing to spend on cloud solutions with their opaque subscription models, and have seen several burnt with massive and unexpected bills.

I think there will be a big movement to private clouds and pure PaaS.
                    Last edited by PlanB; 14 February 2020, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                      I keep on thinking about Mr Meeseeks from Rick and Morty, every business owners dream. A slave that pops up, does a job, then disappears out of existence at zero charge.

Comment

Working...
                      X