• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
    Congratulations Rocktron! Lets hope the government manage to shock us with IR35 given all the recent news headlines.
    What news?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      In fact, I'm quietly raging about the contractor way of life being destroyed. The way our working life is now busted up, perhaps for good. I am raging about the way the country is. It seems to be heading down the xenophobic paths and uncertainty of the socio-economic-political disunited kingdom and dysfunctional future, not to mention a***wipe of the tuliup LoanCharge , I'm mad as hell.
      Worry gives a small thing a large shadow, so they say. Everyone is uncertain at the moment - contractors, clients, agents, accountants. Nobody is sure about the right way to react to the new rules, and chaos now reigns. Financial corporations have over reacted in a way the government didn't want or predict, leading to the prospective creation of no rights employees, a gross perversion of what was intended. Since NREs are not politically or economically sustainable, more change is inevitable, and soon.

To summarise: relax & keep invoicing.

Oh yeah and well don on your new gig. Peanut butter jelly time, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Since NREs are not politically or economically sustainable, more change is inevitable, and soon.

To summarise: relax & keep invoicing.
        Why do you say that - A NRE is no different to how permanent work in the States actually works and that is perfectly acceptable there..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Why do you say that - A NRE is no different to how permanent work in the States actually works and that is perfectly acceptable there..
          Traditionally the US is to the right of the UK and more laissez faire about workers rights, so I'm not sure if you can apply a straight comparison. I agree with Unixman, NREs are not sustainable politically in the UK and we could see a Labour government next time out if the press pick it up and Tory party do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            Traditionally the US is to the right of the UK and more laissez faire about workers rights, so I'm not sure if you can apply a straight comparison. I agree with Unixman, NREs are not sustainable politically in the UK and we could see a Labour government next time out if the press pick it up and Tory party do nothing.
            US is a mixed bag because of the intersection of federal and state law. Many states have strict deeming criteria on self employment now, like AB-5 in CA, which is causing havoc there and potentially the way things are heading w/r to IR35 over here in the long-term.

California Assembly Bill 5 (2019) - Wikipedia

Comment

NREs are not politically sustainable in the UK because voters will not accept it. The USA is a different place. Furthermore, NREs are so attractive to employers that they might prefer to engage all workers in this way, potentially affecting many more people (voters) than just contractors. Such a yawning loophole can't survive.

NREs are not economically sustainable because their use would lead to increasing damage the economy, the possible loss of the temporary workforce, and would in any case be curtailed by the the usual laws of demand and supply.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                I'm quietly raging about the contractor way of life being destroyed.
                It's not being destroyed. It's much the same as before except net income has dropped significantly in many cases. You can say contractor standard of living has been hit but you can still earn as much as a permie. You're suffering the burden of higher costs/lower benefits, having to stay away, down-time etc but you get the freedom to avoid reviews etc and change jobs when you get bored. It's bad news but not destruction.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  It's not being destroyed. It's much the same as before except net income has dropped significantly in many cases. You can say contractor standard of living has been hit but you can still earn as much as a permie. You're suffering the burden of higher costs/lower benefits, having to stay away, down-time etc but you get the freedom to avoid reviews etc and change jobs when you get bored. It's bad news but not destruction.
                  It's destructive if you are used to claiming expenses due to home location vis-à-vis location of work. It was never going to be the tax changes that really impacted people it's the fact expenses have to come out of taxed income..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    My plan B appears to be the same as yours. Nick everyone else's ideas and then try do it better.
                    Sssshhhhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      My plan B appears to be the same as yours. Nick everyone else's ideas and then try do it better.
                      I've just updated my linkedIn profile with my plan B

Care to implement it better?

Comment

Working...
                      X