• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Why burn your warchest when you can take an FTC to ride out the shizstorm? Plus if that's the future direction of contracting, you get a taste of it early on to see whether you want it or you head for a consultancy as a perm or opt for Plan X?
    I'm looking at all options. In principle I'd take on a perm role over FTC (I'm planning to buy a property so FTC are a No for mortgages)

Comment

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
      Feeling energised but unsure what to do next - pretty much like most of us I reckon - due to the infamous IR35. Although my expertise lies firmly outside of IR35 the blanket decisions by clients does have an effect....
      ??????

How can a set of skills be outside (or inside) IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
        I'm London based and its a nice day (dry)

Anyone else around?
        A walk around the Tate Modern? Imperial War Museum?

I actually recommend a trip to the Postal Museum. It is not as boring as it sounds and you get to ride the mini tube train at the end. I loved having bench time in London as you can go around the museums and Art Galleries.

If you really fancy a coffee (or Beer) and a chat about contracting one day then send me a PM!

The Market isnt going to move until the budget comes out and the we will have a clear confirmation of how to proceed.

Comment

I'm popular today!

First: had a call from a former colleague about a BA role. Giving the CV a spruce up to make it less generic. I suspect they will find stronger people than me but it's nice to be considered.

Second: had a call from an recruiter who found me on LinkedIn and thought I was a good match for a permie role he's got (he works for the hiring company, not an agency which is why I actually entertained talking to him). We had a chat last week, he spoke to the hiring manager, called me back just now and it seems he thinks I'm a good bet. He's an ex contractor so gets that I'm not wholly enamoured with a perm gig but I'm a never say never type person so will follow the thread and see where I end up.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
            A walk around the Tate Modern? Imperial War Museum?

I actually recommend a trip to the Postal Museum. It is not as boring as it sounds and you get to ride the mini tube train at the end. I loved having bench time in London as you can go around the museums and Art Galleries.

If you really fancy a coffee (or Beer) and a chat about contracting one day then send me a PM!

The Market isnt going to move until the budget comes out and the we will have a clear confirmation of how to proceed.
            The postal museum is on my to-do list. They do a monthly Tunnel Walk but it sells out almost as soon as the dates are announced. I should have just booked a date when this year's were published.
            Tunnel Walks | The Postal Museum

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              ??????

How can a set of skills be outside (or inside) IR35?
              Sorry - my bad. I meant the type of services I perform for clients. Specific one -offs saas implementation projects.

Comment

Is anyone else thinking about the possible impact on the market of coronavirus? On the news today I see that several schools in this country are completely shut down, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that most people (especially London commuters) are soon going to start staying home. If that happens, the market is going to dry up like it's Christmas.

Just saying that there's a good likelihood that we all could be looking at a good two months where nobody gets a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  Is anyone else thinking about the possible impact on the market of coronavirus? On the news today I see that several schools in this country are completely shut down, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that most people (especially London commuters) are soon going to start staying home. If that happens, the market is going to dry up like it's Christmas.

Just saying that there's a good likelihood that we all could be looking at a good two months where nobody gets a new contract.
                  In my office (central London) we are planning a company wide - work from home Friday this week in preparation for when it hits hard and we all work from home for weeks

We have a office in Singapore so already well aware of the lockdowns coming to the UK so a tad more advanced than others

Also cupboards filled with sanitizer / face marks as will soon be a run on them here

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post

Although they are largely vegetarians, We can recommend a blanket ban on people coming from India to stop the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Also cupboards filled with sanitizer / face marks as will soon be a run on them here
                      Just went shopping for both, empty shelves.

Comment

Working...
                      X