• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    'Draconian' means cruel and severe. I don't see what is occurring now as severely cruel or cruel in the slightest. If anything it's the opposite of cruel. Would be good if a new catchphrase caught on for this very light lock down ( light compared to other countries' implementations.)
    Well you could argue that it is draconian because of the effects it is having on the economy.

But that's by the by.

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
      Well you could argue that it is draconian because of the effects it is having on the economy.

But that's by the by.
      I disagree. The economy has been pumped on steroids and was an unsustainable nonsense-dream.

*Contracting was dying a death thanks to governments removing rights and the benefits of being a contractor
      *Favouring large rubbish 'consultancies' - we all know who they are and they aren't consultancies, they're body shops
      *Large corporates bloated with cheap debt
      *Private debt is at an all time high, well above inflation and the highest ever as a percentage of GDP in the US and UK

It's about time the bubble popped and zombie companies perished. New roles will emerge for us, in time, and the same for permanent staff. If governments can help improve the situation for truly good and well meaning consultants and contractors then we can help build a more responsible capitalism that doesn't reward destructive business practices. Uber, AirBnB and offshore taxhavens leave a sour taste in the mouth when you're paying a decent amount of tax yourself and, quite rightly, contractors using such similar schemes (in percentage of tax evasion, rather than basic avoidance) are penalised.

The state of the market is going to improve for us soon, but beyond April2021 I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel.

In the mean time: network, network, network - it's easy, it's online; you'll avoid beer gut.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        I think it's going to be incredibly hard to contact any agents and clients right now. Clients are only going to be concerned with staying in business at best.

Agents, how many will be in the office? Even if you have their mobi numbers I'll be surprised if they are even thinking of placing people right now.
        Are you kidding?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Are you kidding?
          Indeed, had a few interesting calls last few days.

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
            Client made a u-turn. Permits LTDs for now. Got extended same terms as before.
            Well done. Save up the back tax, though.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Are you kidding?
              No, why? You know agents are hiring?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                Indeed, had a few interesting calls last few days.
                And you believed them?!?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  And you believed them?!?
                  Corroborated with people at the named clients I know...

Comment

Finally decided to work on plans B and C.

Plan A being usual style contracts; plan B being some freelancing, some overflow work a fellow contractor may have which can be done evenings / weekends and plan C being looking more at android apps.

Just need a Plan D and things will be cushty.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      Finally decided to work on plans B and C.

Plan A being usual style contracts; plan B being some freelancing, some overflow work a fellow contractor may have which can be done evenings / weekends and plan C being looking more at android apps.

Just need a Plan D and things will be cushty.
                      Why android? The revenue side of android app pales compared to iOS - apple users are happy to spend money, android users don't
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X