• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Seems we are likely to lose 1 million businesses in the next four weeks.

Owners are having to put everything they personally have on the line. Up to 30% interest rates are putting off people from signing up to the Government's "rescue" packages.

Also told that even if they do agree they won't get any money for weeks.

Dovetails nicely with the Brexit project.

You couldn't make this stuff up
    We seem to be moving in the same circles as someone else has just said the exact same thing.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      We seem to be moving in the same circles as someone else has just said the exact same thing.
      It's a real shame

Seems that only the banks will be winners in all of this.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Seems we are likely to lose 1 million businesses in the next four weeks.

Owners are having to put everything they personally have on the line. Up to 30% interest rates are putting off people from signing up to the Government's "rescue" packages.

Also told that even if they do agree they won't get any money for weeks.

Dovetails nicely with the Brexit project.

You couldn't make this stuff up
        Its the same nonsense that happened in 2008. Government gives banks money for loans. Then they dont want to loan money. So it never gets distributed. They never learn.

It was said after the 2008 Crisis, that the government would have been better off giving every man , woman and child some money to spend. That way it gets out in to the economy, without the banks.

Donald Trump was smart enough to do exactly that. He is literally giving American people a cheque, with some money to spend.

Comment

It's a real shame

It seems we are getting news from the same other site (my username there is probably obvious)...

and sorry to hear the news - I suspect my wife will have similar news about a colleague tomorrow.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            In fairness, corporation tax, business rates, doctors, nurses, intensive care beds etc have all come down since the Tories came in.
            You made your bed, now you can lie on it.

Except you can't
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

It's a real shame

No, the lawyers will make a killing too. They always do.

Comment

I hear “tide” might have issues having so many small companies and giving them big overdrafts (with big fees) - now panicking as lots of there customers are going under

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  I hear “tide” might have issues having so many small companies and giving them big overdrafts (with big fees) - now panicking as lots of there customers are going under

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Awful bank anyway, all the warning signs have been there for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    I had one call today about a remote role. Big consultancy firm. Good rate.

Sounded legit until he followed up with an email asking for permission to represent along with "two references".

two references - simples

- Mark Z at facebook
                    - Warren B at Berkshire Hathaway

done. They are so thick they probably wouldn't pick up on it

Comment

Well, here has been my experience.
                      1. Applied for 7 gigs - all last week, week ending 27 March, 2020
                      2. 2 came back with a positive response and interviews were scheduled.
                      3. For one role, I chased the recruiter who said he will follow up with another email to the client but haven't heard anything back. This was last Friday.
                      4. Another one, the recruiter came back with positive news last Thursday but on Tuesday came back and said that the role has been put on hold and will get back to me if it went Live (not, when it went Live)
                      5. Third one, there has been no response after I sent my CV to the recruiter. No response to the follow up email as well.
                      6. Fourth, the rate was low and inside IR35 and had to travel but I went with yeah sure. Now, the role has gone into a permanent role. :-(
                      7. The last one, applied for it but no response back from the agency.

There have literally been no new roles at all this week!

Comment

Working...
                      X