• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    I hear “tide” might have issues having so many small companies and giving them big overdrafts (with big fees) - now panicking as lots of there customers are going under

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Good. They're tossers
    Last edited by deeter; 3 April 2020, 02:34.

Comment

Had a speculative bulk format email from an agent, urging me to sign up to that agency online... reading the email, well reading the text makes me think I'd rather volunteer to have thousands cough on me than sign up...

"Answer: Right now is the PERFECT time! 1) My guess is that you probably actually have some free time where you can research. And 2), the #1 skillset you can possibly have during good times and bad is your ability to make it rain. (i.e. getting opportunities in the door).

Now is the time to sharpen your saw, so you can get the best career opportunity today...but also, as the quarantines lift, to be able to stabilise and build upon your career in the coming months."

Make it rain? Isn't that the practice where rappers and clebs in America throw money around nightclubs, causing fights and shootings?

Sharpen my saw? What the almighty living ***** does that even mean? I need a sharp saw to get the best career opportunity how? By hacking up other candidates and contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
        Had a speculative bulk format email from an agent, urging me to sign up to that agency online... reading the email, well reading the text makes me think I'd rather volunteer to have thousands cough on me than sign up...

"Answer: Right now is the PERFECT time! 1) My guess is that you probably actually have some free time where you can research. And 2), the #1 skillset you can possibly have during good times and bad is your ability to make it rain. (i.e. getting opportunities in the door).

Now is the time to sharpen your saw, so you can get the best career opportunity today...but also, as the quarantines lift, to be able to stabilise and build upon your career in the coming months."

Make it rain? Isn't that the practice where rappers and clebs in America throw money around nightclubs, causing fights and shootings?

Sharpen my saw? What the almighty living ***** does that even mean? I need a sharp saw to get the best career opportunity how? By hacking up other candidates and contractors?
        Maybe he is suggesting a job in Carpentry?

Could be in high demand once the civil unrest has died down
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Had a long discussion over the weekend with a friend who works in the Production sector where they have announced pay cuts until the end of third quarter! Now of course, this is anecdotal and one person's update regarding one company cannot be generalised but it is starting to look pretty bad out there...

Comment

I suspect business too rigid to adapt, either to this or Brexit will go to the wall.

Those flexible enough will get through this and thrive.

As always, new businesses will emerge to replace the ones gone.

Comment

Majority of my permie friends are now forlouged

This could go on until September

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post

Sharpening the saw is one of the seven habits of highly bollockspeak people propounded by Stephen Covey (dead).
                Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 6 April 2020, 09:03.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Majority of my permie friends are now forlouged

This could go on until September
                  Both of them?

Most that contractors I know have jobs where WFH can be done, so are not that impacted, Outside of contracting, where the sector effectively shut down, people have mostly been furloughed. The ones I know who have lost their jobs are younger and typically students or younger.
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 6 April 2020, 10:09.

Comment

Just landed a job at a much higher rate for 3 months but 18 months worth of work

Seems like this issue has made more work for my sector as I've had 3 other jobs asking for interview.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
                      Just landed a job at a much higher rate for 3 months but 18 months worth of work

Seems like this issue has made more work for my sector as I've had 3 other jobs asking for interview.
                      'job'? So you've gone permie then?

Comment

Working...
                      X