• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
    By the bove, do you keep in mind making a director furlough with 80% of his monthly PAYE of 719 pounds? Or something new and different published just today?
    Any link to that guidance and calculator?
    Isn’t this what most of the LTD company contractors will be requesting of their accountants now? Looks like everyone is now catered to from the self employed side as these were the ones that were seemingly being left out...

Feedback from an accountant had been ‘If you are no longer able to work through your limited company due to covid-19, you are able to claim 80% of £719.33‘ I mean a lot of people are not in the position to work because no jobs are available and therefore are sitting at home living off dividends...does this constitute the above statement or would this be classed as wholly inappropriate as some directors could be sitting on a huge war chest and still be claiming 500 odd quid because they feel they can?
    Last edited by Dhrucku; 21 April 2020, 15:19.

Comment

Just found out contract ending on June 5th, about a month early.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Comment

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thank you for your kind Emojis. It was due to end at the beginning of July and they didn't have to give so much notice (although as their is still work it isn't exactly a going away present). One of those projects that has been doing the rounds for years but never actually seems to be finished so probably par for the course.

Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Incidentally, had it been left to my contract I probably wouldn't have been back at work on Monday but it was through a Consultancy whose contract with the client presumably had some notice built in for cancelling of services.

This is why getting in a consultancy is never going to replace contractors as they aren't as flexible and will fight their corner more as they have the resources.

Comment

Start a new role on Wednesday after expecting to be benched a while after projects I was leading at the last place were canned along with me a month ago to focus on BAU (understandably). 6 months initially.

Be WFH for the time being which although I’m used to will be a bit strange. Last role was 3 WFH and 2 in the office which was a decent mix to catch up with people in person. Harder to bulltulip a PM when he’s asking you in person I found. Great WFH discussion thread on here too by the way.

Might be a bit strange on boarding remotely and I’ve always far preferred to have a bit more office time to get to grips with how a business works / learn who’s who and the processes etc.

That said, thankful to have a gig though which came through an old colleague on LinkedIn.

Good luck to those looking for work.
                Last edited by fatJock; 25 April 2020, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
                  Start a new role on Wednesday after expecting to be benched a while after projects I was leading at the last place were canned to focus on BAU (understandably). 6 months initially.

Be WFH for the time being which although I’m used to will be a bit strange. Last role was 3 WFH and 2 in the office which was a decent mix to catch up with people in person. Harder to bulltulip a PM when he’s asking you in person I found. Great WFH discussion thread on here too by the way.

Might be a bit strange on boarding remotely and I’ve always far preferred to have a bit more office time to get to grips with how a business works / learn who’s who and the processes etc.

That said, thankful to have a gig though which came through an old colleague on LinkedIn.

Good luck to those looking for work.
                  I started my current gig on 23rd March and was supposed to be in the office. Instead it's been an entirely online onboarding into the team. It was a bit odd but the consultancy I'm working with is made up of a good crew and the client is also very accommodating as they're all having to do everything remotely too.

Just wish the client hadn't cut us back to 3 day working! The 4 day weekends are messing with my head .

P.S. congrats on landing the work!

Comment

Incidentally, had it been left to my contract I probably wouldn't have been back at work on Monday but it was through a Consultancy whose contract with the client presumably had some notice built in for cancelling of services.

This is why getting in a consultancy is never going to replace contractors as they aren't as flexible and will fight their corner more as they have the resources.
                    That didn't work so well for me.

Consultancy is still working for the client, project continuing, but I have to hand over to permie at the consultancy so they can keep them occupied.

I still have a little work with the consultancy for another client, but presumably only until they can find one of their staff to give it to
                    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 27 April 2020, 06:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      That didn't work so well for me.

Consultancy is still working for the client, project continuing, but I have to hand over to permie at the consultancy so they can keep them occupied.

I still have a little work with the consultancy for another client, but presumably only until they can find one of their staff to give it to
                      Really sorry to hear that but it does somewhat prove my point.

Comment

Working...
                      X