• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Really sorry to hear that but it does somewhat prove my point.
    Absolutely.

Comment

Got offered to do a “project” taking about 5h by their estimate. And 1.5h interview afterwords.
      I got back to them that I am happy to do it if I can invoice for the time.
      I might not hear back from this one...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        Got offered to do a “project” taking about 5h by their estimate. And 1.5h interview afterwords.
        The worse the market the more ridiculous the hiring process seems to be, the 5h unpaid work is a bit of a red flag to me. If it is genuine and not just a ruse for free labour what level of depth do you need to dig into before you can figure out someone can do the job? For a contractor who you can fire at a moments notice I'd give them a standard technical interview, with a short coding assignment to do at home (no more than 1h) then get them in to talk through it after that if I'd cocked up and hired a dud then they are gone by the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          pro forma invoice?

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
            pro forma invoice?
            No, just told them I will be happy to undergo it but will have to invoice for the time.
            Also mentioned that I’ve looked into it out of curiosity and there seem to be some compatibility issues that will take longer than usual.
            I am not doing it exclusively for the money but asking people to go through all these hoops is just taking the piss...

Comment

Contract terminating on May 22nd so just done the ceremonial switching on of Jobserve. I know it isn't what is used to be and I find most of my contracts through my network but there were literally no suitable contracts for me!

Comment

After 2 months on the bench....

I now have a 3 month contract on normal rate.

Was a dire job search for those 2 month. Watching the war chest deplete, whilst applying for fake roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Networker2017 View Post

Was a dire job search for those 2 month. Watching the war chest deplete, whilst applying for fake roles.
                  Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Networker2017 View Post

Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Contract terminating on May 22nd so just done the ceremonial switching on of Jobserve. I know it isn't what is used to be and I find most of my contracts through my network but there were literally no suitable contracts for me!
                      Yup.

Today on Jobserve, as of 2pm, just five roles on a 0 day search inc. Project, Programme, Delivery... And all other applications for a role where the CV got past the agent and to the client, have been summarily put on hold.

ALL previous clients are no longer hiring. Seems like it was for me back in 2000 when I was starting out.

Off for a run...

Comment

Working...
                      X