• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    Yup.

Today on Jobserve, as of 2pm, just five roles on a 0 day search inc. Project, Programme, Delivery... And all other applications for a role where the CV got past the agent and to the client, have been summarily put on hold.

ALL previous clients are no longer hiring. Seems like it was for me back in 2000 when I was starting out.

Off for a run...
    Generally a sign things are going badly when you are quite pleased when an agent replies to tell you they haven't got anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Networker2017 View Post
      After 2 months on the bench....

I now have a 3 month contract on normal rate.

Was a dire job search for those 2 month. Watching the war chest deplete, whilst applying for fake roles.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        Generally a sign things are going badly when you are quite pleased when an agent replies to tell you they haven't got anything!
        Yep, means the agents are bored senseless of creating fake adverts.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Networker2017 View Post
          After 2 months on the bench....

I now have a 3 month contract on normal rate.

Was a dire job search for those 2 month. Watching the war chest deplete, whilst applying for fake roles.
          Hey Networker,

Many congrats.

It's now fine being bench. I was benched for 4 months, lucky sods.

PS: What is your onboarding situation looking like? WIll they DPD you a laptop from the clone farm? Or do you have to go into the office just for 1 day?

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Have had two agents calling for a chat.

A chat?

I asked if they had anything specific to speak about, they said no and the only reason they were calling was to, <deep breath> ask me What I Would Like To Do Next.

And so with a CV devoid of Banking I say, Banking. How can you help me there?

Ah well erm, and their voice trails off before I helpfully pick up and say, It's ok. A contractor does what he's done on the CV. More so in these times. Give us a call back when you've got a Boolean search that paints half the first page yellow.

Comment

Another agent called me.

After few minutes of waffling he said: "Can I ask you one last question, before I forward your details to my colleague at contracts?"
              "Sure, ask anything."

"What is objective programming?"

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                Another agent called me.

After few minutes of waffling he said: "Can I ask you one last question, before I forward your details to my colleague at contracts?"
                "Sure, ask anything."

How much did you quote him?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  How much did you quote him?
                  Standard market rate.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    Another agent called me.

"Sure, ask anything."

Well that's good. I've had it occasionally where agents have actually asked me to explain the difference between a couple of tech items. If that helps decent contractors get gigs and weeds out the bluffers, great.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

PS: What is your onboarding situation looking like? WIll they DPD you a laptop from the clone farm? Or do you have to go into the office just for 1 day?
                      Need to be on site for an overview and will collect laptop next week.

1 initial day on site followed by 90% remote working, regardless of the plague.

Comment

Working...
                      X