• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dolphin232 View Post
    Anyone heard of any agencies shutting up shop?
    You can take a peek at the Gazette to see who's going down

Here's a search filter that shows insolvent company names containing the word 'recruitment' that are entering administration or being liquidated (excluding MVL)...

The Gazette

Amusingly the newest one that comes up today is called 'Red Flag'

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
      It's rare hierarchies are used, composition over inheritance and all that. Having looked at Infosys code that used 9 levels of inheritance for exception handling, each invoking a super class and doing contradictory things along the way, including checks at the lowest level for circumstance that could never happen due to being handled higher up the chain, thank ***** for that..
      That's the enterprise coding for you. It's done on purpose to charge clients more.

Comment

Whooohooo

We are no 1 at last

COVID-19 lockdown depresses IT contractor jobs market to record-low

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Despite the contractor terminations, the Recruitment and Employment Confederation said its member agencies in April were still seeking six types of IT contractors.

Each declared ‘in short supply’ for relevant contracts, the six are Data Science; Database Development, Development, IT, Java and Technology.
          As much as I appreciate these press releases, the REC do come up with some utterly awful surveys.

Is 'IT contractor' a type of IT contractor? Guess so.
          What about 'Technology contractor' ?
          Last edited by CheeseSlice; 11 May 2020, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
            You can use OOP if what you are dealing with can be represented by hierarchy of objects, otherwise just use good old functional or structured programming.
            Functional and structured programming aren't replacements for OOP, they are paradigms that can be used in conjunction.

OOP is not going anywhere soon, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              Functional and structured programming aren't replacements for OOP, they are paradigms that can be used in conjunction.

OOP is not going anywhere soon, trust me.
              It's what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                Matches my current experience, which is there are no contracts available. Even two weeks ago I thought there could be a few, but now there is nothing. Even if results come up on Jobserve, they are fake.

Consultancies are the only ones talking about hiring on a permanent basis and they are not using agencies.

Comment

So much for Boris' great reopening. I just walked around the town but there's a grand total of zero new businesses open .

As for IT, I got offered a job in March and I'm currently floundering with the company's idiotic outsourced background check system . If that fails then there's nothing else as only had 3 recruiter phonecalls in 6 weeks.

Thankfully I have other options outside IT . But even with these, I am starting to fear the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    Congratulations - any extension is good news in this market.

<NLUK mode>

Are you Inside or Outside IR35 today?

<NLUK mode>
                    Inside

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Just boomed the best rate of my career (two in a row, in fact).

Call the chancellor - tell him I'm coming off furlough
                      Congrats. Precisely what happened to me as well. The very best rate I have always dreamed of. I even thought it was a typo

Comment

Working...
                      X