• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Today on Jobserve

17% of all UK contracts require active SC or DV security clearance.

Also it seems Covid has tightened the entry requirement further.
    e.g.

"Current valid SC cleared mandatory, due to Covid_19 restrictions."

...Without explaining why

Maybe they were relaxed about it for people working in-person, and thought "OK we need to take it seriously if we're never going to meet them"
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Maybe they were relaxed about it for people working in-person, and thought "OK we need to take it seriously if we're never going to meet them"
      Possibly, however for SC it's a paper process and you never meet the vetting agency directly.

Just seen this link on the Security Clearance thread on this forum:

Coronavirus: Changes to UKSV Services - GOV.UK

UKSV is currently operating, with a significantly reduced workforce, in support of the COVID-19 containment effort.
      As such the need to reduce to a minimum business as usual workflow is crucial. We therefore ask that you initiate only those cases which relate directly to COVID-19 or are within the Priority category. All other vetting activity will be processed only when UKSV capacity allows. Our telephone lines are now closed however you can still contact us via email for urgent enquiries at [email protected].
      Please only contact us if your enquiry is business critical.
      So basically security clearance is a firmly closed shop during Covid.
      There could even be a 'shortage' of cleared applicants which is doubly unhelpful with so many people on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Today on Jobserve

17% of all UK contracts require active SC or DV security clearance.

Also it seems Covid has tightened the entry requirement further.
        e.g.

"Current valid SC cleared mandatory, due to Covid_19 restrictions."

...Without explaining why

For the non essential work companies are probably delaying the projects - putting people on furlough while getting compensated by the gov.
        When things get back to normal they will decide if they need to put out a product or not. => no new roles

For the essential work / critical work that probably comes with Security Clearance requirement attached, they need to compensate for the drop in productivity associated with WFH.
        Hence adding more heads to the project. => new roles

On a more positive note, received an offer out of the blue, perm role. Interesting project, south of London, commutable from Kent.
        Environment should be quite laid back(after the customary first few months) maybe a cottage and some hens in plan...
        Doesn't sound like me but lately I've discovered that I quite enjoy nature. (moved out of London just before the lockdown)
        With the pandemic, London and crowded areas a no go for some time, might be exactly what I have been looking for...

The telly marks for each performance review could be done with blood but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          That's hilarious.

Not that I care, but what did MyCo actually travel, of those 260 miles a day?
          Only claimed what was travelled. I'm a chancer, not a thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Only claimed what was travelled. I'm a chancer, not a thief.
            The question was, what was Travelled? Not what was Claimed. No inference on moralities...

You seem to have charged the 260x0.58 and you claimed (presumably from YourCo) what was travelled. My question was the disparity of that which was charged to claimed.

Anyway, the moment might have been lost.

Comment

The question was, what was Travelled? Not what was Claimed. No inference on moralities...

You seem to have charged the 260x0.58 and you claimed (presumably from YourCo) what was travelled. My question was the disparity of that which was charged to claimed.

Anyway, the moment might have been lost.
              Sorry got banned, hence the delay in replying.

So MyCo billed the client (agency I guess) for the 58p per mile. I claimed from MyCo the HMRC rates for mileage (40p per mile for 1st 10,000 and then 25p? can't remember).

Comment

So MyCo billed the client (agency I guess) for the 58p per mile. I claimed from MyCo the HMRC rates for mileage (40p per mile for 1st 10,000 and then 25p? can't remember).
                And were 260 miles driven in the car each day?
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  And were 260 miles driven in the car each day?
                  Yes.

Comment

Yeah, for 'abusing tags'.

What on earth IS that? Not for amusement, but just in case I (or anyone else) fall into that trap.

Comment

Yeah, for 'abusing tags'.

What on earth IS that? Not for amusement, but just in case I (or anyone else) fall into that trap.
                      For example: #YouLostGetOverIt. Don't add that sort of "passive aggressive" fluff to an Old Greg thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X