• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not had a single job related phone call in 3 weeks now (I'm a C# dev).

I still haven't started the permie role I was offered in mid-March. Their clients are shedding jobs and my gut feeling is the job will never happen.

But don't worry because the Nasdaq is making new highs.

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
      There seem to be one or two agencies that email me or call about roles that I really do not think exist.

The two that leap to mind are Computer Futures and Opus RS.

Even in the good times, from all the time I've wasted with them on the phone, I have not even had a single interview from any of their leads. And I've got a very good conversion rate, generally.

So the heart sinks when I get what seems like a perfect role land in my inbox and then I see it's from either of these 2 outfits.
      I know a couple of recruitment agents personally (none IT) and they have yet to to return to work. They are planning to return in July, part time. If that is indicative of the industry I can't see things picking up until September and even then it will be dependent on if the government come up with a decent strategy to open up the economy and can face down Labour and the union opposition.
      Last edited by BlueSharp; 10 June 2020, 08:07.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
        There seem to be one or two agencies that email me or call about roles that I really do not think exist.

The two that leap to mind are Computer Futures and Opus RS.

Even in the good times, from all the time I've wasted with them on the phone, I have not even had a single interview from any of their leads. And I've got a very good conversion rate, generally.

So the heart sinks when I get what seems like a perfect role land in my inbox and then I see it's from either of these 2 outfits.
        Yep on Opus. Very frustrating and I have now decided they are called Opeless.

To answer the thread it does 'feel' like the market is moving again, albeit very slowly.
        Permietractor (probably)

Comment

I felt fairly confident things were slowly picking up a couple of weeks ago when i first started looking but seems to have stalled again now.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            I felt fairly confident things were slowly picking up a couple of weeks ago when i first started looking but seems to have stalled again now.
            The market?..

Comment

Who said the market is dead when you've cracking opportunities like this?

"Java 1.8 Developer

Java 1.8 Developer required for bug-fixing and identifying security holes.

Work from home with own device.
              Industry
              IT
              Duration
              3 months
              Start Date
              Immediate
              Rate
              £100 per day "

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                Who said the market is dead when you've cracking opportunities like this?

"Java 1.8 Developer

Java 1.8 Developer required for bug-fixing and identifying security holes.

Work from home with own device.
                Industry
                IT
                Duration
                3 months
                Start Date
                Immediate
                Rate
                £100 per day "
                Cool. Takes up 3 hours a day and you can keep looking.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
                  Not had a single job related phone call in 3 weeks now (I'm a C# dev).
                  Three months and counting.

Although I did receive an email from Reed for an "Early Years Teaching Assistant required for Excellent primary school - Slough - part time role" yesterday.

I am a PM.

I am still looking...

Comment

Realistically nothing much will change for another few months accept that & adjust accordingly!

Comment

I have been looking as well. Its strange that you apply but hear nothing from the other end. No emails; no phone calls - nothing - as though people have vanished. Anyone experiencing this?

Comment

Working...
                      X