• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking me how the market is going feels like short hand for "I am disingenuous"
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      It's a two way conversation. In difficult times I used to like those conversations as it helped me gauge the market. Recruiters like to talk.
      Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Yep. If the market is quiet and you've chased all your leads, I've found useful to stick yourself in their memory. Often had a "Hey LM, great to chat last week, this role's just come in, can I run it past you?"
      Yes, fair enough if it's an agency that you've had dealings with in the past but when it's one of Opus, Comp Futures or Tank the heart just sinks when they ask that question because they have a history, in my case, of being a complete waste of space and no more than purveyors of fake job ads.

Comment

First call of the week, on a Wednesday. Role with a a hedgefund.
        Agency starting with "what we do and who we are" nonsense... got me really confused about who am I speaking to.
        Apparently the role is permanent with the agency not the client.

Maybe I am getting this wrong but the difference between the two:
        - if you are perm with agency you know upfront they want either no liability from you or might be a temporary role mis-sold.
        - no benefits at all.
        - contracts might be vague and you might find yourself without many rights. (could be the same on the other side as well)
        - agency could be pocketing 2 x your salary only for processing a payroll and still you could be back on your ass 2 weeks into the gig.
        For the right figure I would consider it, but I am guessing even that side is a bit disappointing...
        Moving on...

Comment

I had a call today. Agent explained the big project that needs to be filled. It is in-scope, because they don't want to bother with IR35 at a rate that had me laughing. Agent then said that he is sorry about wasting my time and that he himself doubts the client will find anyone, but he gotta do his job.

Comment

The BBC says everything is ok

Currently, the industry with the most jobs being advertised is IT, according to the recruitment firm Totaljobs.
            Coronavirus: ‘I’ve applied for more than 100 jobs’ - BBC News

I can't quite understand the first woman in the article though - she resigned from her job in March because she feared her job was at risk???

With that fake pout, I think she could get a job in the local fishmongers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I can't quite understand the first woman in the article though - she resigned from her job in March because she feared her job was at risk???

I'd consider applying for 100 jobs a weeks work sometimes, and I wouldn't expect to get a call back for any of them either! it's a numbers game.

An HR manager who resigns thinking her role was at risk? I would hope she got offered some decent voluntary redundo...
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                I'd consider applying for 100 jobs a weeks work sometimes, and I wouldn't expect to get a call back for any of them either! it's a numbers game.

An HR manager who resigns thinking her role was at risk? I would hope she got offered some decent voluntary redundo...
                If you think your job's at risk, as HR Manager, you'd stay to make sure you are. Similarly, shouldn't it have been her job to keep abreast of things like, at the time, potential lockdowns, furloughs, etc. If anything, she'd be busier than ever.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

maybe its pride. some people rather leave on their own terms than get the sack. maybe she felt it would be shameful to get the chop.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                    maybe its pride. some people rather leave on their own terms than get the sack. maybe she felt it would be shameful to get the chop.
                    Precisely! I don't know it is right or wrong but When you are asked to leave - it lowers your confidence, questions your usefulness, feels like humiliation, insult and what not.

Comment

I've been in a good contract since January and got extended until October, I do feel a bit jammy and lucky. Seems like many of you are having a nightmare atm, I was on the bench for 6 months before Jan.

Comment

Working...
                      X