• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going perm, working on my social media content and side business in meantime, to be ready once contract ends

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Your not kidding about age IME IT industry in the UK is rapidly becoming a sub 30 year olds industry as experience is not what it was anymore!!
      I'm glad it's not just me feeling this. Turned 45 this year and in a blink I'm now the oldest person in the building. Due to the current situation I'm currently applying for jobs I did nearly 20 years ago.

Got one current live prospect which will see me move out of development hopefully for good!

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
        I'm glad it's not just me feeling this. Turned 45 this year and in a blink I'm now the oldest person in the building. Due to the current situation I'm currently applying for jobs I did nearly 20 years ago.

Got one current live prospect which will see me move out of development hopefully for good!
        dang 45 isnt old at all

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
          dang 45 isnt old at all
          I'm a couple of years older and starting to think about what this contracting lark will be like in my 50s. At least I'm not in software development.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
            Got a call from an Agency with whom I have worked recently. They need people for BigData - Python, PySpark, Hadoop, HDFS, Hive etc. Not sure if Cloud is involved.

Contract till September. They need 2 more apart from me. If you are interested, ping me your Linkedin profile. I will forward your details to the Agency. I am not taking any cut, you will not be working through my company etc. You will be dealing directly with the agency.

On a side note HSBC has resumed its lay off

HSBC revives 35,000 job cut plan after pandemic pause - Reuters
            \

so that's 1 month to onboard, one to learn and then finito?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I'm a couple of years older and starting to think about what this contracting lark will be like in my 50s. At least I'm not in software development.
              don't worry, there will always be work for experienced keyboard sanitisers like you

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                don't worry, there will always be work for experienced keyboard sanitisers like you
                Could I politely remind you please that this is a professional forum: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...al-forums.html

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                  On a side note HSBC has resumed its lay off

HSBC revives 35,000 job cut plan after pandemic pause - Reuters
                  HSBC more than any other IB is one to avoid due to how many staff travel between the far east & London! They had a Canary Warf covid 19 outbreak a few months ago affecting 1200 staff in the tower I believe.

Comment

in terms of covid, far east is much safer than the UK.

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    HSBC more than any other IB is one to avoid due to how many staff travel between the far east & London! They had a Canary Warf covid 19 outbreak a few months ago affecting 1200 staff in the tower I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenT View Post
                      in terms of covid, far east is much safer than the UK.
                      Sure it is …..!
                      Coronavirus China: Beijing back in lockdown amid new outbreak | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Working...
                      X