• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
    Eye tests are getting expensive. My local optician sent a letter offering £60

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    That's probably close to the economic cost of an eye exam with a profit margin included. Eye exams are loss leaders in the hope that you'll buy specs / contact lenses, where the mark ups are huge. Opticians love nothing more than you walking in with a prescription fro another optician.

Comment

call from recruiter today - "did you think about going back to your previous clients to see if they have more work for you? maybe they can create a role for you if you push hard enough? Want to give me their details so I can do that for you?"

lol

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
        call from recruiter today - "did you think about going back to your previous clients to see if they have more work for you? maybe they can create a role for you if you push hard enough? Want to give me their details so I can do that for you?"

lol
        you should have given him / her one of those dodgy 0898 numbers

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          Had 2 agency calls for 2 different clients, 2 client phone interviews, one of them wanted a final phone discussion with the Architect. Now both of them have been verbally confirmed, contracts expected by this evening or tomorrow. Market is not completely dead after all.
          Got the contract and signed. Starting from Monday

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
            you should have given him / her one of those dodgy 0898 numbers
            No, he should have set up one of those dodgy 0898 numbers and THEN given that number to them...

THINK LIKE A CONTRACTOR.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
              No, he should have set up one of those dodgy 0898 numbers and THEN given that number to them...

THINK LIKE A CONTRACTOR.
              And bill the consultation fee for the call...

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                Got the contract and signed. Starting from Monday
                Nice one.

Out of interest, how long did it take from start to finish for each contact... i.e. from the initial application to an offer being made?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Nice one.

Out of interest, how long did it take from start to finish for each contact... i.e. from the initial application to an offer being made?
                  2 weeks.

Comment

Denied a rate increase but offered an extension. Pssh.

Have done a bit of skulking on Jobserve and the like. Seems like the rates are trending downwards and most stuff is Inside.

It is not a contractor's market out there at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
                      Denied a rate increase but offered an extension. Pssh.

Have done a bit of skulking on Jobserve and the like. Seems like the rates are trending downwards and most stuff is Inside.

It is not a contractor's market out there at the minute.
                      You don’t say !!!!

What’s next - the sun is hot ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X