• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was benched as of Tuesday, I've been looking for the next gig for almost 2 weeks now and it's certainly quiet out there. Almost feels like hitting 'Apply' sends your CV off into the void. In usual times, I can expect ~10 calls from recruiters on a decent day (half of them trying to place me in a role I have zero experience with of course). For the past week, that's probably 2-3 at best.

There's certainly stuff out there though, I've had a few promising conversations this week. One interview where I'd likely have got the role but both the client and I agreed I was probably not a good fit, plus an interview last night that I'm waiting to hear back from.

Comment

Had good call from recruiter yesterday. Finding after a few hears of being in the doldrums getting mojo back, pushing more code to Github, adding to CV by doing some mates rates work for a friend etc.

Feel more positive about things and if the future is inside IR35 gigs at times so be it - it's still money.

Comment

I received another call today for inside gig. Laughable rate again plus I would have to travel and when I ran the ticket costs, I could be better off stacking shelves in a supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
          Had good call from recruiter yesterday. Finding after a few hears of being in the doldrums getting mojo back, pushing more code to Github, adding to CV by doing some mates rates work for a friend etc.

Feel more positive about things and if the future is inside IR35 gigs at times so be it - it's still money.
          I've been perm for over two years but I'm still open to going back contracting in the future.
          The key is that, if there are a proliferation of Inside gigs, there need to be plenty in the north west for me to be bothered. Clearly not going to happen for the foreseeable future as things stand and I'm enjoying WFH too much. I may just choose to stay perm and aim up the ladder instead; pay rises seem more certain than contracting rates.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I've been perm for over two years but I'm still open to going back contracting in the future.
            The key is that, if there are a proliferation of Inside gigs, there need to be plenty in the north west for me to be bothered. Clearly not going to happen for the foreseeable future as things stand and I'm enjoying WFH too much. I may just choose to stay perm and aim up the ladder instead; pay rises seem more certain than contracting rates.
            What is the point of moving back to contracting after April2021?

Inside IR35, likely via an umbrella, potential for pre-tax pension contributions to be removed soon, with limited viable travel (financially) to dip your toe into projects in other geographic areas. What's the point?

Brexit is very likely to lead to a lot of permanent roles only being budgeted for the short-term to fill gaps. Low day rates thrown into this mix means it's pointless staying in England longer term if you value a varied career in consulting or contracting. You can sell your soul to a permanent consultancy, but with job losses soon and lots of uncertainty they will also be offering poor salaries and development when compared to a basic permanent job with less seniority.

Never talk about pre-tax income, only concentrate on post-tax. If more people did this they wouldn't hesitate in choosing a local job with 40 hours a week at £75k annual salary versus 75 hours a week job with lots of travel at £95k annual salary. The post-tax difference means the hourly difference in rate is so close that the latter is a pointless vanity exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              The market is dire and it's not going to improve as the April 2021 IR35 changes and the supply side of labour in the current market mean you may as well recruit permies.

If you want to remain a contractor you need to work out how to package what you do in a way that you can sell it to people as a fixed price piece of work...
              I think thats actually pretty easy for most of us to do, it's just finding the clients who are on board with going through that process.

Maybe next year the number wanting to engage like that will go up in a post-IR35 world.

Even if it works out at the same sort of money as inside-ir35 would yield, I'd be more up for fixed price working

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                If you want to remain a contractor you need to work out how to package what you do in a way that you can sell it to people as a fixed price piece of work...
                Or look for clients overseas (working remotely). It's BAU in that case, whether T&M or fixed price.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Or look for clients overseas (working remotely). It's BAU in that case, whether T&M or fixed price.
                  Inevitably there are going to be schemes were local companies will be ordering services from an overseas company and that company (or few layers deep) will be taking local contractors. Then HMRC will deal with it the same as with loans after a couple of years plus work for overseas clients will be taxed twice or illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    Inevitably there are going to be schemes were local companies will be ordering services from an overseas company and that company (or few layers deep) will be taking local contractors. Then HMRC will deal with it the same as with loans after a couple of years plus work for overseas clients will be taxed twice or illegal.
                    Eh?

I am talking about working direct to clients overseas, not thrice removed contracting via UK intermediaries. There are no "schemes" or "workarounds". If any company within the contracting chain has a permanent establishment in the UK (other than the PSC), that company is the fee payer. It's only BAU if you're legitimately working for overseas clients.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Eh?

I am talking about working direct to clients overseas, not thrice removed contracting via UK intermediaries. There are no "schemes" or "workarounds". If any company within the contracting chain has a permanent establishment in the UK (other than the PSC), that company is the fee payer. It's only BAU if you're legitimately working for overseas clients.
                      This could be structured so that contractor works directly for overseas client, but that client would be under direction of UK company through intermediary. Technically the client will not be established in the UK and thus work will be outside. The key is to not have such chain as you explained.

Comment

Working...
                      X