• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    If there are 100 totally unsuitable applications, there are two possibilities:

1. There are people who work vaguely in IT who are just firing off a dozen or so applications every morning for any IT contract / job ad.
    This method isn't without merit, I've done loads of roles in contexts I've had nothing to do with in the past. Some companies are cool with that. Your ability to change is important.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
      ...As I say, if you skills are in demand then companies will drop the paranoia about your contractor past ...
      This. At the end of the day, your skillset matters the most. How current are they? How are going to prove that you are constantly improving (certifications?).

Unfortunately, your CV for a given role must satisfy 2 different kinds of audiences.

1. The Agent (entry point). He/She is most likely to be non-technical
      2. The Client - technical

Some times (or is it most of the times?), I prepare my CV to capture the imagination of the Agents. Once shortlisted, rates agreed, I send them an "updated CV" that otherwise would have been rejected by the Agent without a second look in the first scan :-).

I do have 20+ years of experience in various technology roles, both perm and contract. I get calls even in this tough conditions. Only difference is the duration of contracts are about 3 months. 60% calls are for perm roles which I keep rejecting.
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 July 2020, 12:09.

Comment

Market is dead..

usually when I put my CV on CW jobs get 10 phone calls a day, had one in 1 month

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
          I've been on the bench for over 3 months now. 20 years of experience, good in-demand (normally) skillset but now can't seem to find any contract. And I mean *any*, even garbage like 200/d onsite.

Savings will last me maybe another 4 months *at best*. Already cut costs to a minimum but still have to pay mortgage, bills, food, med care for dad, etc. Wife unemployed (got fired before furlough kicked in). Also three kids who need to be fed. Landlord doesn't give a tulip about our situation.
          what skillset?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Most CV’s are now screened by automatic readers and 80% rejected

Try the free version of this

Resume Worded - Free instant feedback on your resume and LinkedIn profile

To see what your score is

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            For permie jobs that does look like a good tool- although US biased. For technical contractor jobs, not so much, I think. Still, I got 100/100 for skills, so that's nice.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

nice I got

Your resume scored 11 out of 100. This suggests there is a lot of room for improvement on your resume.

Comment

pile of bulltulip software

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                  pile of bulltulip software
                  Or bulltulip CV. I got 24 overall. Apparently, you're supposed to quantify everything, but that doesn't really work for technical jobs.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

my github is my cv

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Most CV’s are now screened by automatic readers and 80% rejected

Try the free version of this

Resume Worded - Free instant feedback on your resume and LinkedIn profile

To see what your score is

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      What's the privacy policy on that? I bet it's a data harvesting scam.

Comment

Working...
                      X